Saturday, June 23, 2012

Only in Jersey...

Read it, don't read it, I don't care...just needed to get some things off my chest.


In no particular order of importance or chronology...


NEW FORMAT: 20 minutes time limit, DAILY posts


(deep breath before going to town)


2:45


1) The Edmonton Oilers selected Russian Nail Yakupov as their #1 pick in the NHL draft.  They are hoping for immediate success for the kid so the team doesn't get the #1 pick next year for the FOURTH straight year.  Edmonton, dominating the #1 pick is NOT a good thing.  That being said, the last team to be near the top for multiple years, Pittsburgh (2 out of 3 years), ended up winning it AND getting building blocks for years to come...some dude named Crosby.


2)  A Jersey woman is suing a LITTLE LEAGUE catcher for throwing an errant throw during warmups and hitting her in the face.  Thanks, Jersey woman, you put another notch in the belt for lunacy from my home state.


3)  Germany advances after Portugal is already in the next round.  I have Spain/ France on in the background right now, and there are going to be no cinderellas in the final four grouping it looks like.  All solid teams.


4)  This is my sad time of year.  I always hit a low when NBA is done.  I try to rationalize and think about how football is only 2 months away, but it still is a window of the year where I am kind of lost.  Of course, this is the time of year I also enjoy Colorado for what it is...a heaven for outside enthusiasts.  I still am sad I am not by a beach, but mountains are fun too.


5)  This is the 40 year anniversary of Title IX, a milestone to say the least for women in sports.  We would be lacking so many fantastic stories of female athletes had that obstacle not been conquered.


6)  Sandusky is guilty on almost all counts.  The trial is finally done, itchy headlines are now over, the guy gets his due, the minimum sentence is 60 years, and everyone is happy.  Unfortunately, it doesn't change the brains and personalities of all of those kids he messed up forever.


7)  I found out a band I am starting to follow, Needtobreathe (yes, it is all one word), was playing for free at a place downtown last night.  They played 7 or 8 songs, and were fantastic.  Dude's voice has a little Kings of Leon in it, and their music is very well written.  Check them out.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmOo_xmiQ84


8)  Josh Hamilton apparently has agreed to allow Casey Affleck make a movie about him being a #1 pick, then an addict, then the MVP.  I LOVE his story in general, and will definitely want to check it out.  I wonder though.  Are they leaving the night with the chicks in Arizona out of the screenplay?


9)  The Penguins trade Jordan Staal to the Hurricanes.  Jordan now gets to play with his brother, Eric.  I guess that is not THAT big of coincidence though.  There ARE FOUR brothers in the league.  Odds were that at SOME point they would end up on the same team.


10)  People are already talking about who will win the NBA Championship next year.  I hear the Thunder.  I hear the Heat.  Ok, ok.  Those are good picks, but I will just say this.  The Heat wouldn't have been in the Finals at all this year had Derrick Rose been healthy.  Yes.  I DID just say that.


11)  Andy Roddick just won a tennis title.  Cool, Andy.  You might as well win one right before going to Wimbledon, where I assume you will flame out as usual.


12)  Another music note.  You might have to wander into the Christian Rock area of the music store, but check out Skillet if you haven't already.  After all these years, they are still one of my top 5 bands to workout to. http://www.myspace.com/music/player?song=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.myspace.com%2Fskilletmusic%2Fmusic%2Fsongs%2Fmonster-album-version-52212920


13)  Lance Armstrong filed his comeback against the powers to be about "new" doping charges.  I heard it was 11 pages, but it should have just been one sentence...something like "Bitches, give this shit up already."


14)  I hear that the Red Sox might be looking to trade Kevin Youkilis.  This can't happen.  Since they won in 2004, he pretty much IS the team as far as personality.  Him, and Ortiz.  I think you HAVE to keep that guy.


15)  Roy Oswalt won his first game back with the Rangers.  Sure, it was the woeful Rockies, so we should hesitate before jumping on this bandwagon.  That being said, Oswalt is known for taking care of his body, and I think he might be that missing piece for the Rangers in their oh so close last two years.


16)  3:04.  Time to go.  And, I was surprised to hear that the biggest music festival in Denver is literally happening a block or two over.  How did I miss THAT (can we list these events in the freaking sports page, people)?  Anyway, as one shepherd said to the other shepherd, I am going to get the flock out of here.  Talk to you tomorrow.  Peace.


16a) I just realized that this is the first blog EVER that did not have a sky is blue hook, Seinfeld reference, or Rant Squad update.  It won't happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment