Monday, March 12, 2012

The Rough Draft-by the way, the background symbol has NOTHING to do with my picks...

Read it, don't read it, I don't care...just needed to get some things off my chest.


In no particular order of chronology or importance...


Actually, no order of anything.  These are just my initial thoughts on the bracket.


SOUTH (my pick is capitalized):
1 KENTUCKY vs. Miss Valley/ Western Kentucky
This talented but young team has some teams out there that might undermine them, but these two teams aren't any of those teams.


8 IOWA STATE vs. 9 UConn
I have been on the Transfer U bandwagon all year.  They are now in the dance.  Is UConn scary on paper?  Sure.  Are they trendy now that they are a lower seed?  Yes.  I just think these four solid transfers are finally gelling.  Give me Iowa State.


5 WICHITA STATE vs. 12 vcu
Great.  My preseason Cinderella plays last year's Cinderella.  Well, although this should be a great game, VCU has less players from last year, and Wichita St. is better.  I like the experience, I like the balance, and I like the Shockers.


4 Indiana vs. 13 NEW MEXICO STATE
Indiana has a crazy good recruiting class coming in next year.  New Mexico State is experienced.  IU.  Your time is next year and for years to come, but not this year.


6 UNLV vs. 11 Colorado
Colorado is a very nice, feel good story, that-sorry-just told you how bad the Pac-12 was this year by winning the tournament.  UNLV, aside from a late season cooling, had some big wins and beat UNC earlier this year.  Too much firepower, and still enjoying some of Lon Kruger's recruiting classes.


3 BAYLOR vs. 14 South Dakota St.
At some point, you have to say that 3 future NBA's will get it done against a directional school.  I have a feeling this might be one of those initial round crazy endings, but I think Baylor survives.


7 Notre Dame vs. 10 XAVIER
One team lives and dies by the outside, and the other was pre-season ranked in the top 10 nationally, not just in its region.  This season wasn't what Xavier wanted, but they are in, and one of the most dangerous 10 seeds I remember.


2 DUKE vs. Lehigh
You can crack on Duke all you want.  You can say that they are not as athletic, not as talented, etc.  True, they lost a first round game a few years back to VCU.  That being said, I can never see a Coach K team being on that very short list of 2-15 upsets.


"Third Round."  SO stupid.
1 KENTUCKY vs. Iowa State
I love Transfer U, but after watching UK grow this year and seeing AD pull out his jumper late, they are just too much.


5 WICHITA STATE vs. New Mexico State
Wichita State is solid.  New Mexico State got lucky playing a young, inexperienced team in IU.  Give me Wichita State.  Give me also 4 days of Wichita State becoming a household name.


3 BAYLOR vs. UNLV
This will be a fun game with the amount of athletes on the floor.  That being said, there is a difference between Tier 1 and Tier 2 athletes.  Baylor advances.


2 DUKE vs. 10 Xavier
If this game was played ANYWHERE else in the world, I would go Xavier on this game.  But it is being played in Greensboro.  That puts them over the edge.


SWEET SIXTEEN:
1 KENTUCKY vs. 5 Wichita St
Dammit.  Why did my Elite 8 pick have to play UK.  More horses, and the better team wins.


2 Duke vs. 3 BAYLOR
What is Duke's weakness? Athletic teams.  What is Baylor?  Athletic.  Although I am worried about the guard play matchups, I still think Baylor's front line carries them through.


1 KENTUCKY vs. 3 Baylor
I LOVED Baylor preseason, but after watching Kentucky play about 12 times this year, I am on board.  Atlanta is closer to Kentucky than Waco also.  Just saying.


FINAL FOUR:
Kentucky


1 MICHIGAN STATE vs. 16 LIU Brooklyn
No 16 seed has ever beaten a 1 seed, and this won't be the one where it happens.


8 Memphis vs. 9 ST. LOUIS
I know, I know.  Last rant, I was tooting the horn of Memphis.  Well, that is before I knew they were going to face an experienced team coached by Rick Majerus in Columbus, OH.  Give me the experience, the coach, and location.


5 New Mexico vs. 12 LONG BEACH STATE
Sorry, Steve Alford.  You ain't playing, so I think the more athletic team wins this one.  Have you people WATCHED LBS play?  They are playing in Portland, too...just a beautiful ride up the Pacific Coast for these fans.


4 LOUISVILLE vs. 13 Davidson
Davidson, as usual, has a smart, experienced team.  Louisville doesn't have the talent to make a serious run, but they will take care of business in this one.


6 MURRAY STATE vs. 11 Colorado St.
WOW, did Murray State get underseeded.  But.  They got an opponent in CSU that is manageable.  Isaiah Cannon is too much for that defense to take.


3 Marquette vs. BYU/ IONA
Iona will take this, in my undercard winner.  If you haven't seen Scott Machado play, you are missing out.  I already had said I love Iona as a Cinderella, and I already had said that Marquette was on my short list to be beaten VERY early.


7 FLORIDA vs. 10 Virginia
This KILLS me to do.  My alma mater.  Quality squad.  Who do they draw?  Florida.  UVA defense is made to make you beat them from the outside.  What is Florida?  A lineup that just BEGS you to let them start 4 guards.  Done and done.


2 MISSOURI vs. 15 Norfolk St.
Missouri is the most efficient offensive team in the nation.  Norfolk St. is solid, and one of my choices to give us all a heart attack, but Mizzou will prevail.


1 MICHIGAN STATE vs. 9 St. Louis
Tom Izzo.  Can play at any speed.  Hitting their stride.  Playing an undermanned team in Columbus.  Give me the coach, the tourney experience of the players, and move them along.


4 LOUSVILLE vs. 13 Long Beach State
This might be the game of the tournament possibly.  Athleticism against athleticism.  Give me the coach on the bench in this toss up.


6 MURRAY STATE vs. Iona
Cannon will most likely play ON Scott Machado, negating to some degree both of them.  Give me the supporting cast of Murray St in the remainder.


2 MISSOURI vs. 7 Florida
Perfect matchup.  Missouri only lacks interior defense.  Florida lacks interior offense outside of Young.  Give me Missouri to advance.


1 MICHIGAN STATE vs. 4 Louisville
MSU can play multiple styles of play.  Louisville is undermanned.  Tom Izzo gets his hot squad to advance.


2 MISSOURI vs. 6 Murray St.
The dream ends.  The better team wins.  Murray St.'s best player is a guard, meaning Cannon will have 4 quality guards marking him at any given moment.


1 Michigan St. vs. 2 MISSOURI
Although I am concerned with the interior defense against a big Michigan State line, I am on board with Missouri.  This experienced team goes to the Final Four.


FINAL FOUR: Missouri


EAST (best region 1-16):
1 SYRACUSE vs. UNC Asheville
IN PITTSBURGH?  I don't think so.


8 KANSAS ST. vs. 9 Southern Miss
K St. gets #8 seed?  Horrible.  I won't even pay attention to where they are playing.  If you have watched ANY Kansas St. game aside from the first Missouri massacre, you know what I am talking about.  Plus, I think a death might occur if that team lost in the first round.  Coach Martin is SCARY.


5 VANDY vs. 12 Harvard
Damn.  My other sleeper pulls my heavyweight sleeper.  Since we had to say bye to Xavier early, I think Vandy will make some noise.


4 WISCONSIN vs. 13 Montana
Bo Ryan.  Good for at least one round.


6 CINCY vs. 11 Texas
Texas might have snuck in, and Cincy shoots a LOT more 3 ptrs than before the brawl, but I think them and Gates are a little too much for Texas.


3 FSU vs. 14 St. Bonaventure
Florida State is hot, talented, and I hope St. Bonaventure enjoyed this week of pre-madness fun.


7 Gonzaga vs. 10 WEST VIRGINIA
Toss up.  Coaches.  Even.  Squads.  Even.  They are playing in Pittsburgh.


2 OHIO STATE vs. 15 Loyola MD
No 2-15 upset in this one, either.  If they happen to get Sullinger in foul trouble, there is still too much talent.


1 SYRACUSE vs. 8 Kansas St.
They are playing in Pittsburgh, and although this might be a decent game, the depth of Syracuse is too much.


4 Wisconsin vs. 5 VANDY
Not only is Wisconsin playing a bigger team, but they can even match them up from behind the arc.  Pace of play will be important in this one, but I think Vandy is finally hitting the stride they should have been doing all year.  Realize.  Both losses to UK were pretty tight.


3 FSU vs. 6 Cincy
FSU is hot, and Cincy has only really one threat from inside in Gates.  I like FSU's defense to take away the three.


2 OHIO STATE vs. 10 West Virginia
This might be played in down the road Pittsburgh, but I think Craft will bother Bryant's driving, Sullinger will be too much inside, and Kevin Jones won't be able to overcome these problems.


1 SYRACUSE vs. 5 Vandy
I am worried about a 2-3 zone against a shooting team, but this is an expanded, been done for years, zone.  Boeheim has already proven he can adjust that zone against shooting teams.  The Cuse has the size up front to handle the big guys, and the depth to out-man them.


2 OHIO STATE vs. 3 Florida State
I hear everyone is jumping on the FSU bandwagon.  Can we all remember that they took down UNC without John Henson and Duke without a healthy Ryan Kelly.  Take it easy, people.  Ohio State is just better.


1 Syracuse vs. 2 OHIO STATE
Depth, depth, depth.  They will get Jared in foul trouble, and they are playing in Boston.  BUT.  Ohio State's starting five is sick.  Ohio State goes.


FINAL FOUR: Ohio State


MIDWEST:
1 UNC vs. Lamar/ Vermont
Either will be outclasses, although I WILL be rooting for my bracket to get wrecked if Bobby Knight's kid can beat Roy Williams.


8 CREIGHTON vs. 9 Alabama
If you don't know who Doug McDermott is, you will...briefly.  For about two days.  Damn them for being in this region.


5 Temple vs. CAL/ South Florida
I have no reason to pick this, except that Temple is not all that solid, there is no location advantage, and SOMEONE from the Pac-10/12 always makes a little noise.  Not a large group to pick from this year.


4 Michigan vs. 13 OHIO
I have watched about 10 Michigan games this season.  Bottom line is this.  Their undersized front line unbelievably got them a 4 seed, but that same undersized front line is Ohio's dream.


6 San Diego St. vs. 11 NC STATE
No location advantage, maybe someone will tell Mark Gottfried will be told when CJ Leslie gets 4 fouls, and I will go ACC on this one.


3 Georgetown vs. 14 BELMONT
Sure, it is trendy NOW.  I wrote about Belmont in a rant before the season began.  Check the files.  I am sticking with them.  Two QUALITY players on a forgotten school's lineup.


7 St. Mary's vs. 10 PURDUE
They might not have the squad to make a magical run, but something tells me that we have not heard the last of Robbie Hummel.  If I WAS in the grey area, this is being played in Omaha.


2 KANSAS vs. 15 Detroit
I don't have the guts to pick it, but I personally will not be surprised if this is an upset after watching Detroit's conference championship game.  They can ball, and I firmly believe that if you contain midly Taylor and Robinson...MILDLY, the rest of the team doesn't have the support for them.  This might be a buzzer beater.


1 UNC vs. 8 Creighton
This will be a GREAT game, and if this was being played ANYWHERE but Greensboro, I would take Creighton.  But they are playing in Greensboro.


Cal vs. 13 OHIO
One of your Cinderella's, people.


14 BELMONT vs. 11 NC State
Another Cinderella, and we all know that ONE region is always ALL jacked up.


2 Kansas vs. 10 PURDUE
In a year they AREN'T supposed to do it, Purdue makes some noise.


1 UNC vs. 13 Ohio
Too many horses, and after a scare by Creighton, UNC will advance.


10 Purdue vs. 11 BELMONT
I am not good at picking all the games, but I am VERY good at sleepers.  I like the draw.  Belmont advances.


1 UNC vs. 11 Belmont
The dream ends.  The better team advances.


FINAL FOUR:
UK vs. Missouri
UK.  Missouri struggles at defending the inside, and AD will RULE this game.
OHIO STATE vs. North Carolina
Ohio State.  Depth is not an issue here, and I think the Aaron Craft absolutely blanketing Marshall throws UNC's offense into fits.


Kentucky vs. OHIO STATE
Great game, but Jared Sullinger shows who he is.  Teague gets frustrated at the point, denying Calipari his first championship.  Buford holds Kidd-Gilchrist under wraps.  Thad Matta cuts down the nets.


NOTE:
This is a rough draft.  Realize I do know that UK and UNC are the most talented teams, but am trying to think outside the box.  If I change this before game time, which I always do, I will have the Cuse beating OSU and  then winning it all.


NOTE 2:
I have put the UVA symbol up on the site, because although I think Ohio State will win it, they call themselves "The University."  UVA is "the university."  Sorry, Buckeye fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment