Saturday, March 10, 2012

Married to Cheez-Its, with an occasional affair with Cheetos

Read it, don't read it, I don't care...just needed to get some things off my chest.


In no particular order of chronology or importance...


The evolution of the "mini-rant."  Through March (too much basketball on), just using this as a rant journal, and testing myself to see if I can actually stop after 45 minutes of writing.






2)  I watched a college basketball game where Jay Bilas and Bill Rafferty were announcing.  I always wonder about announcers who have to sound playful, but don't get along in real life.  Not EVERYONE gets along.  Not saying they don't actually get along, but to me, it sounds like Bilas and Rafferty don't exactly go out for beers.  They counter each other on points frequently.


3)  South Florida bball lost to ND bball this week in the conference tournament.  Not only was it painful, as South Florida is now probably on the outside looking in, but it was painful to watch for another reason.  I love refs getting calls right, but the amount of reviews in that game was freaking ridiculous.  Let's pick and choose our battles, people.  Don't slow down the flow of the game.  While you are at it changing that rule, change the alternative possession rule on tie ups and make them jump it out.  REWARD great defense.


4)  Making them think even more about whether to trade Dwight Howard, the Magic stopped the Bulls win streak at 8 this week.  Don't be tricked.  The Magic have the capability to win the big game against the elite here and there, but they don't have the whole package to make a run and stop the inevitable event that IS the Bulls/ Heat Eastern Conference Final series.


5)  Gtown, Marquette, UCONN, Syracuse.  Are they some weird sort of Final Four prediction from the Fillerbuster?  No.  They are the teams who all got ran from the Big East Tournament, allowing an odd Louisville/ Cincy final tonight.  I don't put much stock in the conference tournaments though.  They wear out the good teams that are already in, only might modify their seed, and really are only good for allowing those other teams a chance to make a run and get in the Dance.


6)  Marquette is an odd team.  They can win against ANYONE in the nation, but then look outclassed some nights.  Put them on my short list of a 4 or better seed to get beat in the first round depending on their matchup.


7)  Anthony Hargrove.  STOP talking about the late hit on Favre/ bounty thing.  It can only make it worse, bro.  By the way, I hear the Bills have joined the bounty party.  Although Gregg Williams was ALSO the coach then (dude, you are all over in this thing), the players coming out about it say it was player started.  Sure, guys.


8)  Texas bball beat Transfer U this week.  They then lost, but pretty much assured themselves of a bid to the Dance.  They will be dangerous.  They are constant underachievers who have the talent to hang with anyone.  Plus, they do better when nothing is expected of them-which would be this year.


9)  Rays pitcher David Price hurt himself toweling off.  He has "neck spasms."  This odd injury kind of took some of the media glare from the Yankees Robertson, who tripped down the stairs in the clubhouse.  


10)  Did you hear about the Iditarod musher who saved the life of his dog?  How, you ask?  Mouth to mouth... Mouth to mouth...


11)  UVA lost to NC State in their ACC bball game.  I guess it is not exactly rocket science figuring out how to stop their offense.  Uhhh.  Double team Mike Scott every time or get him in foul trouble.  We are splitting the atom here.  All the time.


12)  Peyton Manning is in Denver this weekend.  To those who think that it might be a good fit, and no matter how much I want Tebow out of this town, it ain't gonna happen, people.  He is going to either a nice weather/ dome stadium, immediate contender, AFC team (he will stay out of his brother's conference I think).  Let's just say that I think that brings it down to the Cardinals (I know-they are NFC, but they have a pretty dome stadium, and talent), Texans (sorry, Matt Schaub), the 49ers (another NFC team with talent and only a functional QB), and the Dolphins.


13)  Least opened article of the week hook.  The Giants cut Brandon Jacobs.  Pack your ring, troublemaker, and get out of town.  It would be funny if he signed with the Jets, and still could keep his stadium parking lot spot.


14)  Bruce Weber was finally fired after absolutely losing his Illinois basketball team and making a mockery of their decent tradition.  Where does he go?  Don't care.  Who will they replace him with?  Well, if Shaka Smart can't be lured out of VCU, I would pluck Chris Collins off of Coach K's bench in a heartbeat. Or Capel.  Or Wojo. 


15)  Talk about a freaking fire sale.  Not only do the Colts release Manning, but they are now shopping Dwight Freeney and have cut Dallas Clark.  Wow.  This is like the '97 Marlins... without the recent championship.


16)  Live by the outside, die by the outside.  The Wisconsin Badgers light UP the Hoosiers in the conference tournament, then they get SMOKED by Michigan State.  All over the board, Bo.


17)  I heard that Carson Palmer was restructuring his contract with the Raiders.  I am not in charge of the negotiations, but I would frame it by number of interceptions.  Just saying.


18)  The last 4 places I have lived, I have had dishwashers (every one but the present one actually).  My mother must have trained me well on washing dishes, because I haven't used one in about 15 years.  I still write checks, and I still "do the dishes."  Old school.  We're going STREAKING!


19)  What are they looking for at Nebraska?  They fired their men's basketball coach this week.  Given the talent level and expectations at that school in basketball, I personally think 12 wins is pretty good.


20)  Trying to make a run at Mike Ditka's draft for Ricky Williams, the Redskins gave up THREE first round picks and one second rounder for the #2 pick.  That is a LOT.  Well, aside from their position, I suppose that RGIII and Williams look KIND of alike.  Hope RGIII lays off the pipe a little more.


21)  WATCH OUT.  If you HAVEN'T watched a Kentucky game in the last month, you should.  The guy who was already player of the year is starting to showcase his jumper a little.  Remember, he was a guard in high school who grew 10,000 inches.  Dude is a guard trapped in a 7' body.  Look OUT if he starts using THAT thing.


22)  I LOVE it.  One rant after complaining that NO Pac-12 team should be in the dance, hometown darkhorse Colorado won to screw EVERYONE over.  They were a 4th seed in that pitiful conference.  So, I guess this DOES mean a conference winner from the Big Six might not make the Dance.  Happy trails, Washington.


23)  Watch Memphis in your brackets.  Young, talented, and hitting stride now.  They could very well be a Sweet Sixteen participant.  Nice to watch a bunch of youngsters hyped out of high school TRULY play together and trusting the system their coach has implemented.


24)  UNC fans.  I wouldn't freak out about Henson's wrist injury.  Sure, it might be legitimately hurt, but I actually just think Roy is sitting him out of the meaningless of Carolina conference tournament. Roy has bigger fish to fry.


25)  Someone PLEASE make a joke about the Timberwolves when Kevin Love is out of the game.  Love-less brings up ideas, but we need to do more.  There HAS to be a joke out there.  Has to.


26)  I think the Cheez-It commercials where the cheese is "not ready" can go to higher levels than what they are doing with it right now.  Take it up a notch, people.  Maybe I pay more attention to the commercial because I somewhat live on them as far as eating any snack food.  I always say.  I am married to Cheez-Its.  When I am feeling dirty and promiscuous, I get a bag of Cheetos.  Delicious.  My affair snack food also has funny commercials.


27)  Odd.  In the NC State/ UNC game, not one person told Mark Gottfried that his leading scorer in the game, CJ Leslie, had 4 fouls.  He ended up fouling out of a huge game for them with 7 minutes left.  How does THAT happen?  On that note, how the HELL does NC State blatantly through it away before a play even starts with the score tied 67 with 40 plus seconds left?  Sloppy.  You will watch that play a million times if you guys don't get the Dance nod.


28)  I am SLOWLY getting on the Missouri bandwagon.  This is one of the smartest, well-coached, efficient teams in the nation.  I still think that when they go against a quality big man, they won't hang, but I am slowly getting on board.


29)  Bubba Watson can hit a golf ball REALLY, REALLY far.  Plus, he has a pink driver.  AND, he owns the General Lee.  I would like to have some beers with that guy.


30)  There goes that bandwagon.  Ricky Rubio is out for the year with an ACL tear.  There also goes any noise the Timberwolves were planning on making in the NBA playoffs.


31)  Andrew Bynum.  Stop talking like you are a wrestler when talking about playing teams.  "Ready to rumble?"  Bro, this would be sad regardless, but since you DID pretty much tackle a dude in the playoffs last year before exiting stage left, it makes you sound dumber.


32)  NHL.  I am not a believer in either of the #1 teams right now.  Put my hypothetical money on the #2 seeds, Vancouver and Boston.  I don't think the Rangers or Blues are for real.


33)  Alright, that is it.  I successfully did a mini rant.  Finished in less than an hour.  My NCAA bracket breakdown will be either Monday or Wednesday.  Until then.  Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment