Thursday, May 31, 2012

Here it is, a groove, slightly transformed. Just a bit of a break from the norm.

Read it, don't read it, I don't care...just needed to get some things off my chest.


In no particular order of chronology or importance...


Let's turn and burn.  There are two things that are always better when I am pissed...working out and ranting.


1)  Editor's note.  I am changing predictions on the OKC/ San Antonio series.  I predicted OKC in 6 games UNDER the assumption that they would steal one of the first two games.  They did not, meaning barring a monstrous San Antonio injury, this thing is going seven games.  AND, per my last rant, IF it goes 7 games, then San Antonio would take it on their home court.  That is being NICE saying that it might go 7 games.  After the shellacking of the first two games, I would consider it a moral victory if this thing even GOES 7 games.  It clarifies something prominent in ALL sports.  The whole passing of the torch thing?  It is NOT easy, because the team/ person who HAD the torch had it for a reason, and these Spurs are NOT going down easy.  Even if San Antonio loses tonight while I am blogging, it is still one of the most monumental runs of any NBA teams in a LONG time.  Some notes from Game 2 and the series in general:


-after having a pretty decent performance in Game 1, Derek Fisher came out GUNNING.  Dude, you got your share of rings, and you WERE a starter for those teams, but come on and recognize who your stars are.  You are now a role player/ locker room presence.  Just. Do.  That.  Stuff.


-the passing of the Spurs big men is simply beautiful.  They might not light up the box score on a regular basis, but they sure as hell are contributing directly to the guys that are. As Pop said, those international coaches are doing SOMETHING right.


-OKC needs to stop looking at the officials for help.  Sure, there are bad calls here and there, but try and win it with good play, open shots, and with attacking the basket.  The bad calls will level out. Stop bitching.


-OKC needs to unleash James Harden.  After a dismal Game 1, he started pulling up before getting in the lane and in trouble, and it was very effective initially.  Dude is just SMOOTH.


-Hey, Russell Westbrook, how's it going guarding a PG that blows by you when you blink and/ or smirk in that silly way for more than a half second?


-So, the Spurs might not be as flashy as the Heat, but for all you non basketball people, they play the game the perfect way.  Spacing, finding the right guy and trusting the right guy, playing well between the ears, and no care at all who the star is that night.


-Flux capacitor alert.  Duncan's NASTY dunk over Serge Ibaka was just dirty.  Tim.  Circa 2001.  Mr. Duncan if you want to be nasty. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sW8tU03mZA



-LOVE when on one single bad play that Gregg Popovich was in the face of superstar Tony Parker.  He plays no favorites, and the fact that he would do that to ANYONE makes his non-superstars play better. Dibs.


-I DID like how Scott Brooks pulled a "Popovich" and repeatedly fouled Tiago Splitter (LOVE that name) in the FIRST half to get free throw misses and mess up the fluidity of the Spurs offense.  Sure, it didn't pan out, but I like Brook's style.  AND, we need to get rid of that rule.


-Is it bad that I still always chuckle when I hear an announcer say "he needs a blow?"


-I still am VERY impressed that OKC didn't fold when down big at the Spurs' crib.  It didn't turn out well, and this series win probably won't happen, but they need to realize that doing this thing ain't going to be easy, and that technically this series is going exactly as planned.  2-2-1-1-1...so far.  This isn't soccer.  You don't get extra credit for the amount you win by-losing by 20 and losing by 1 puts the same number in the column and still starts you at 0-0 at the beginning of the next game.


-My fraternity brother thinks he saw Hubie Brown at the media table during the game.  Where is Hubie?  Is he doing radio?  Why are they wasting his talents on the radio?  I would have checked, but the delay kills me from the radio to the TV....I have tried it several times during Nuggets game when I am trying not to listen to Scott Hastings.  Release the hounds, ABC/ TNT.  Hubie is the hound.


2)  I promised I wouldn't do it first hook, but I NEED to get this out.  VERY active week for the Rant Squad.  For new readers, the "Rant Squad" is a collection of characters, if you will, from the world of sports.  To qualify for the team, you must have committed at least 3 ridiculous/ illegal acts combined with interviews that don't support any conspiracies.  I could go longer on this definition, but I think that sums it up shortened style.  SO....here is our first Rant Squad weekly appearance.  Did you all have a good holiday?  Yes?  I just wanted you to know Metta World Peace hopes you did also?  At about 12pm on Monday, Metta tweeted to the world, "Happy Labor Day to everyone."  What is nice about the Rant Squad is that the Fillerbuster doesn't usually need to add his own jokes when a team member does something, such as the case here.  That would be like playing whiffleball as Michael McDermott would say.  Dude, the conspiracy theory would be that possibly you were joking, but anyone who saw your recent post game interview after getting booted from the playoffs knows you were absolutely serious.


3)  I have a 5 Hour Energy commercial in the holster.  It is SO obvious.  Just show a picture of John Isner, and say "visualize your job as playing a match against him."  After the record setting match of a few years ago at Wimbledon, and a couple long ones in the middle, dude just made his opponent win 18 games in the fifth and final set today at the French Open.  People, they play to 6 games.


4)  I have decided to announce my graduation from high school and college to the world.  I am very proud of what I did at both places, and thank you for your acknowledgement.  In a related story, and giving me a partial heart attack that somehow he was playing in the IFL for the last couple years and I didn't know it, Kordell Stewart retired this week from the NFL.  He ANNOUNCED it.  SEVEN years later.  Go rob a liquor store or get a DUI in the same night, and I will make you a backup on my Rant Squad.  I won't make you wait seven years either.  Geez/ come on.  Get it.  I just put an unnecessary "slash" at the end of this hook.


5)  Steve Spurrier says to pay college players $3500 to $4000 per year.  Steve, I am one of your biggest fans, and I do think it sucks that college athletes don't get paid.  But, where does it end?  This is the DEFINITION of a slippery slope.  Ok.  So, we pay Bob, who is a star football player at Alabama this amount.  Cool?  Then what do we say to Vinny, who is a starting player from lax powerhouse Syracuse?  What do we say to Jenny, who happens to be a midfielder for UNC's women's soccer team?   It will never end, people.  I think it sucks, but I think this might be a problem with a very hard to find solution.  I don't have it, and I will let you know when I hear it...from a smarter person.


6)  And in the yearly round robin of what big namer might sit out to make a point (we already KNOW you won't, good guy Wes Welker from your candid ESPN interview where you showed your cards after getting franchised and KILLED your leverage), Darrelle Revis is our next contestant.  Why not?  Maybe this is Rex Ryan's proactive way of deflecting things off the Tebow circus that is about as obvious as another attempt of a Steven Seagal action movie.  Good move, Rex.


7)  Floyd Mayweather begins his jail term.  You don't care?  I sure as hell do.  On my rant team, this is the equivalent of putting your best player on the DL, or getting Tommy John surgery.  Not a good thing.  Hurry back, Floyd.


8)  I know that Morgan Freeman gets all the pub for having "that voice" for all narrations, but I think we have a new darkhorse.  I think the dude who does the Hyundai commercials is going to be going to town with penguin narrations and others soon enough.  


9)  What did YOU do on your way to work today?  Anything good? Check out this: http://hamptonroads.com/2012/05/reds-player-saves-life-then-wins-ballgame


10)  Talk about a perfect match, and look OUT MLB.  The Rangers are already the best team in baseball.  Critics, including me, say they lack pitching to get things done when it is all said and done.  Now, what do they do?  They pick up the perfect match.  A guy who has not thrown HIS last strikeout is picked up by a team who needs exactly that.  Roy Oswalt is picked up by the Rangers.  A very good team just got better.


11)  Another Rant Squad member does something that does not need a joke.  Deshawn Stephenson, a year out of somehow being relatively important in the Mavs championship and then getting arrested for public drunkenness in an apartment complex a couple weeks later, just got an ATM...for his kitchen.  http://2daysports.com/deshawn-stephenson-has-atm-in-his-kitchen-1728.html


12)  I don't care if I am older.  I don't care if it is not hip anymore.  I still think that cruising down the road in the summer, with all my windows down listening to Fresh Prince's "Summertime" is the best thing EVER.  I did it this weekend.  Sure, parents didn't understand, and sure, amazingly he wound up a pretty freaking good actor, but Summertime is a classic.  Yeah I got on basketball sneaks but I need a new pair because basketball courts in  the summer got girls there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr0tTbTbmVA


13)  I am trying out for the Steelers as a wide receiver just so you all know, just in case I suddenly stop blogging.  I have released videos on Youtube to prove my fitness.  In a related story, I am going out with Matt Forte for drinks this weekend.  


14)  Did anyone else check out the Vanderbuilt triple steal.  No matter what level of baseball play we are talking, a triple steal has all of the stars aligned and is frankly pretty freaking sweet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYcNbBnicm4


15)  Loyola of Maryland gets its first college lax title, in a final four that was absent of the usual powerhouses.  It scored 7 unanswered goals in the final game.  A)  Congrats  B) That is cool.  SEVEN unanswered goals are "unanswered."  I only have a problem when a football announcer says "and then they scored ten unanswered points."  Two different things.  If something is unanswered, it better have at least 5 scores of whatever type in ANY sport.


16)  I usually just rent movies.  Can someone just let me know if Charlize Theron is topless at any point in the new Snow White movie and maybe I will check it out on the big screen?


17)  I hear that Phil Mickelson is in a group to buy the Padres.  Every team needs balance, and the Padres are bad enough already this season, but does anyone else think that the 8-5 ratio of righties to lefties might change if he gets the call?


18)  This is a weird feeling.  I am a diehard Phillies fan, and this is the first year that I might be paying attention to the trading deadline. Can they win it without a move?  Sure, since all teams in the division are .500 are thereabouts, but I get the feeling that a huge move might be in the making for my boys.


19)  I see the Prometheus previews.  It just FEELS like another version of Alien/ Aliens.  Someone tell me where Sigourney Weaver is right now, and also throw in what the plural of Prometheus is so I am prepared for the sequel.  I feel like it should be "promethei."


20)  Playoff basketball.  I was disgusted watching Game 1 of the Heat and Celtics and seeing how FAST they were t'ing up players. Come on, refs.  I am not saying that I want another Ron Artest brawl ever again in the sport or any sport, but let them play AND be emotional.  Unless something is said or done that is obviously retaliatory, let them play.  You people should NOT be changing the game.  Players should be.


21)  Sad to see the stars that are making baseball over the last few years, Weaver and Halladay, both hurt.  Make it back, guys.  You make the most traditional, old school SO much better.  I would rather watch a 1-0 pitchers duel ANY day than watch some Colorado Rockies-like 11-9 slugfest.  I don't want excitement, I want quality.


22)  The Los Angeles Kings win Game 1 in the Cup playoffs.  Who ARE these guys, do they know they were an #8 seed, why are ex-Flyers schooling people when not on the Flyers, and can anyone stop them?  I think they are Villanova '85.  One of the best stories in sports in a while if they take it.  Not that there are actually Devils fans in existence anyway.  Ok.  There are like 12 of them.  As I have said before, you go too far south in Jersey, and you are a Flyers fan.  Too far north?  You are all Islanders or Rangers.  Putty, much love to you AND your face painting.


23)  The grass is green, the sky is blue, and Barry Bonds lives in a vacuum/ tunnel.  Bonds says he is talking to the Giants about a position with the team.  I read this story, and am going to steal one of the "commenters" on this article.  "The question is, are the Giants also talking to HIM?"  I am with that sentiment.  One of the greatest hitters of all time or not, he cheated.  Find a clean guy who batted .300 for his career to teach my young guys if I was a coach.


24)  Butler basketball is joining the Atlantic-10 THIS year.  Wow, that conference is going to be the best conference that no one will watch until March, and then suddenly bitch about their brackets.


25)  Another Rant Squad mention this week.  T.O. was cut by his IFL team.  No joke needed, and sad to see arguably the 2nd best receiver of all time go out this way.  Well, it is not really sad.  It is hard to feel bad for absolute idiots.  http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/terrell-owens-gets-50-severance-allen-wranglers-threatens-150431179.html


26)  Article I didn't open that I liked the guy involved but was still confused... Tim Duncan proclaimed he is a "Spur for life."  What?  Dude, I am rooting for you somewhat because you are one of the best 4's to ever play, a class act, and won't have too many more years left in the tank.  I HOPE you are a Spur for life, and how many years are you thinking about playing?  If anyone can ride off into the sunset like Elway did, you can.  Don't be a Franco Harris, Brett Favre, or even should I dare say Jerry Rice.  Win this year, and make us suddenly want to watch a Clint Eastwood movie.


27)  Kasey Kahne won the NASCAR race, and Franchitti won the Indy 500.  I could go on, but am just reporting it.  No jokes, no embellishment.  Good job, and congrats to both of you.  Yeah.  This is a sports rant, and hell, maybe Kahne won the Nationwide-I get confused.


28)  I am sad when I see those adorable unclaimed puppies and dogs on TV, and I am sad the NFL announced it is coming back in 2013 with...the Pro Bowl.  Damn.  Yay, I have a three hour span of time in my life when I can do...something else besides watch sports.


29)  Both Williams sisters are out of the French Open already.  I don't see the big deal.  Both sisters' games cater more to hard court and grass.  Sure, it indicates a decreasing skill level because it is so early, and we are near the end of witnessing the end of a historic run by the sisters, but on clay?  One or both still have a few good tournaments left in them.  Don't sleep on them.  In a unrelated side story, Andy Roddick is also out.  Copy, paste, and print for all future tournaments.  That guy had all the talent, but he is his own worst enemy.  I hope he doesn't drive to tournaments and they don't have "yards" at these tournaments.  Here is the old school song to jam out to:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc5iTNVEOAg


30)  MJ tells Patrick Ewing he will not be his coach.  Sure, there are better established candidates out there, but I would love for him to get a shot.  Maybe, he will actually get one more solid big man in the Association besides Dwight Howard.  Maybe MJ whispered in his ear about the fact the only reason he made the finals was because he was playing baseball at the time.  Maybe he wore a Villanova T-Shirt while telling him.  Ouch, if it did happened.


31)  You knew it  would happen, and all pure hockey fans, Wings fan or not, should be sad he is checking out.  Niklas Lidstrom retired today.  Cheers to perhaps the most efficient and fluid defensive player and PP leader in the history of the NHL.  Happy trails, man.


32)  I thank Magic Johnson for mentioning Isiah Thomas's 25 point playoff quarter when talking about Rondo's badass game in Game 2 of their series.  I was already a fan, still crawl under the bed when watching the bad pass to Bird in another series, but remember every second of that magical 3rd quarter of my boy against the Lakers in Game 6 of the series they eventually lost.  HOBBLED.


33)  I have said it before, but it is AMAZING the amount of blocked shots that Dwayne Wade gets.  Timing, smarts, mad athleticism, and a 6'4" dude MADE to play the game.


34)  I watched amazingly enough my first Kenny Powers series episodes where he is an over the hill baseball player who gets a gym teacher job in his small hometown.  The thing is one of the most abrasive, over the top, yet funny things I have ever seen.  Kind of like the human/ non cartoon version of Family Guy.  You laugh at a joke, then sit there for a minute wondering if you are going to hell for joining in.


35)  Sad.  The Charlotte Bobcats are clearly the worst team in the NBA.  The New Orleans Hornets trade their superstar, get some pieces, but only finish fourth worst.  Who gets the top spot/ Anthony Davis?  The Hornets.  If they play it smart, look for them to be the OKC Thunder 4 years from now.  They sure as hell have the opportunity.


36)  Jim Harbaugh has proclaimed that the "plan" was Alex Smith the whole time and not to get Peyton Manning.  Yup.  Got it.  And I went to the University of Virginia to be in sales.  That was MY master plan also.  Let's go drink together, Jim.  We can chat about this.


37)  Rajon Rondo hit two miraculous three's to cut the game to 3 very late in the game.  Before the second one, did anyone else catch the cameras catching Paul Pierce walking to the locker room?  Intriguing, and surprising.  I love the guy, so I won't ride this one long, but WTF were you doing?  Aren't you the Truth?  Kind of quitting, aye?


38)  Call me in 2014, or text me during EURO 2012.  I hope my cell gets service in Brazil in 2014.  Everyone who LOVES soccer was SO excited for the friendly against Brazil.  Well, without going into how stupid "friendlies" are (be regular readers, people), the US got SMOKED, 4-1.  Kind of makes that hat trick Landon Donovan had against...SCOTLAND...look kind of stupid.


39)  OKC is feeding from their home crowd and looks good.  If I hadn't seen the last two games, I would say this is a good lock...but I saw the last two games.  Fans and adrenaline don't win you playoff games.  So, they win this one, and then the nightmare happens.  Coach Pop makes adjustments.


40)  Roger Federer just got Jimmy Connors for most all-time Grand Slam wins.  What is amazing about this is Connors had to make a few runs in his late 30's to get that record.  No one is totally writing off Roger yet at all.  If tennis was basketball, which it is not, Roger is the closest to MJ that they have.  If that is true what I just said, isn't it sad that Karl Malone couldn't play bball on clay.  Deep thoughts.  Jack Handy, call me.  Flow chart that statement, dammit.


41)    Luke Donald is evidently back at #1 in golf.  Maybe THAT is why I like Tiger so much (it is not, but I will continue the hook).  When Tiger owned shit, there was NO changing at the top.  There are better wire stories than this.  Like THIS.


42)  If the Rant Squad had to rate prospects, than Nick Fairley would be Bryce Harper.  Nick, fresh off a marijuana charge, got a DUI this week.  Yes.  He was my top prospect in quite a while, and is coming in strong.  VERY close to starting, Nick.  Go start a cockfighting ring in the next week, and I will make you captain of the squad.


43)  Dos Santos took down Frank Mir in UFC.  I don't know this sport enough to make a long hook, but I will say this.  I get depressed when a guy I haven't heard of beats a guy I HAVE heard of.  I can't watch THAT many sports.  Come one.  I DO have a full time job and then some.


44)  I have a street where parking is at a premium.  I watched a short little Jeep Patriot parallel park into a spot for 10 minutes when I was watching standing by a spot that was twice the size, and two spots down.  People are so intriguing.  NO, they didn't have heavy boxes in the vehicle that the 20 feet helped out.


45)  I watched David Lee Roth TALK through a concert last week.  I saw a FREE concert this weekend on the 16th Street Mall in Denver...TOTO.  They destroyed Africa, Hold the Line kicked ass, and evidently some of these early 80's song group's lead singers ARE taking care of themselves.


46)  Same game, and this Rant only gives facts.  Although I heard that the Rockies have assigned Moyer to the minor leagues this week, he still has THIS.  He is the oldest player to GET an RBI AND the oldest player to win a game.  Nice, bro.


47)  Speaking of, when you say "Bob got ...a ribbie," do you say "an RBI," or "a RBI?"  It SOUNDS like it starts with a vowel, but technically it starts with a consonant.  Confused.


48)  If you wanted to play money for pool at a bar, and the guy you asked randomly said "I am retired," wouldn't you back off, knowing the guy probably USED to rake?  I was approached by a young lad to play for $20 this weekend.  I said I was retired.  He comes back and said "since you are retired, can we play for $10?"  I submitted.  The game lasted about 6 minutes ( I missed one shot), and my night was free that night.  Thanks, dude.  I am retired again.


49)  UCONN bball semi-star Roscoe Smith transfers to UNLV.  I know bball, and we are a long way until March, but put me down for this.  Combine a strong last season, picking up a top ten recruit, and then getting Smith, and I already have them in my Sweet 16 next year.  Book it, and I don't care if Smith has to sit out a year.


50)  If I wasn't retired from betting, and if there WAS a bet that existed, I would take Jason Dufner every important tournament to be the first round leader.  Dude does it ALL THE TIME, and then flails.  Did it again last week.


51)  My new favorite workout song.  I listened to this on the way home from work brewing for this rant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCJsazPbefo


52)  Proposing at sporting events is kind of dumb to some people, but this story is pretty freaking cool given the state of the world affairs:  http://patdollard.com/2012/05/soldier-proposes-during-st-louis-cardinals-game/


53)  I hear Jerry Sandusky's charity was shut down.  Glad I don't hear about it every day, still disgusted by the whole thing, and...moving on.


54)  Not sure why the fence was about 5 feet high, and not looking it up as to why, but still a pretty badass baseball catch:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILDWdTMsan4


55)  No prelim given.  If you know the history of this kicker's history, you will find this funny: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/19160218/vanderjagts-coaching-job-in-question-after-hes-accused-of-grabbing-student-by-throat


56)  The Celtics played this song in their Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals.  My buddy, Kyle, introduced me to it, it is usually my opening song for my workouts when I am stretching, and just plain gets you PUMPED:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbPTKRLenIY


57)  Math at its best.  And yes, I am making a Indy hook that will make sense.  Will Power has WON 15 of his last 44 starts before Sunday.  Roger Penske, his owner, said that he is proud that Will has won "almost a third of his races."  Run that by me again, and please bring me another flow chart.


58)  I hear the Jazz and Warriors are thinking about making a trade DURING the NBA playoffs.  Odd, but needed by both if you have watched them play ANY time in the last two years.


59)  Giants WR Hakeem Nicks is now supposedly only going to be out 4-6 weeks.  I wonder at technology and the magic that is medicine these days, and evidently Nostradamus is not exactly working for their media team.


60)  Finally, the Dolphins will be the team on Hard Knocks.  Sweet.  I have a joke, but just can't find it.  Give me a break.  I am at 60 hooks.


61)  Perfect.  OKC/ Spurs going into the 4th quarter.  That is it.  Sorry to be late on this blog, but sometimes I have a life, sometimes I actually DO work 65 hours, and I am back in the gym like in the old days.  As one shepherd said to the other, I am getting the flock out of here.  Talk to you Monday night.  Peace.


62a) About the background picture, I DID used to carry around a Rubik's Cube.  My brother and I had hopes of making That's Incredible.  We didn't make it, but dibs to my big brother.  He held court.  His best I believe was 1:44, and mine was 2:36.  That's Incredible cutoff was :30.  Sick.  To be honest, I STILL have a Rubik's Cube.  I REFUSE to look up the answer, still get down to the final two moves, but can't remember them.  So, basically, I have a mostly done Rubik's Cube as decoration in my apartment for the last 5 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment