Monday, November 21, 2011

WE WERE RUNNING THE "BOBCAT"

Read it, don't read it, I don't care...just needed to get some things off my chest.


In no particular order of chronology or importance...


The secret impresses no one.  The trick you use it for is everything.


1)  I have talked about it over and over.  I am not even a fan of the team, just a fan of the game whose allegiance is on the other side of Pennsylvania.  But WOW.  Sidney Crosby made his return tonight, and looks fantastic.  His stick action has been solid, he has 1 goal and 2 assists as of right now, and has won 8 of 12 faceoffs.  Very impressive.  Pittsburgh was already good.  This could make them scary.  Switching over to football on the tube.  By the way, about the only thing Crosby CAN'T do is grow a decent mustache.  Dude.  I feel for you.  From 1998-2001, everyone decided NOT to tell me how bad my goatee was that wouldn't connect on the sides.  Luckily, after a couple days of not shaving, I figured out that my soul patch COULD grow.  Moving on.


2)  Are you KIDDING me?  I joke about watching the NASCAR race if someone could guarantee that Stewart and Edwards finish in the top 2, get sidetracked watching football, and they DO end up 1-2, less than 2 seconds apart.  Dammit.  Would have been the first car race I have watched since Danica in Indy racing.  I am glad Stewart won though.  I root for the guy.  I don't know why.  Maybe it is because he is pretty obnoxious like I am frequently, but I root for him for some odd reason.


3)  Jay Cutler is out for the season.  Sorry to hear that, dude.  I will tell you this.  I, for some reason, dislike you, but that effort you put in on the play this past week on an interception return made me gain some respect for you.  Not only did you help stop the TD return, but San Diego ended up turning it over.  Great stuff, man.  Points...


4)  Verlander won the AL MVP today.  Bullshit.  Seriously.  In this debate, there is NO gray area.  You are either a believer or not, and I am not.  There is no way that a guy who pitches every 5th day should get an award made for the most valuable person in the entire league.  OK.  If they go 33-2 or something, perhaps.  But Verlander went 24-5.  Doesn't cut it in my book.  Last pitcher to win?  Dennis Eckersley.  I would still have disagreed, but at least he was closing a lot more games.  Before that?  Clemens.  24-4.  I still wouldn't have supported that one, although I was a fan before finding out that he was doping up.


5)  Lee Corso got busted yelling the f-word on the air.  I don't care.  He is so easily forgivable.  I love that guy.  That team they have on Saturdays is just fun to watch.  


6)  I waited until my 6th take, even though I am bouncing off of walls because of it.  When I went to UVA, the VA Tech rivalry was pretty fierce.  Then, VA Tech started stealing our in state recruits, and got pretty good.  What followed is a rivalry that was dying because one team was so much better than the other.  Think of the college version of Red Wings/ Avs.  Anyway, VA Tech won something like the last 7 games, and 11 of 12.  This year. it is perfect.  We have them in our crib, with a chance to go play Clemson in the ACC championship, and a possibility of going to go to a BCS bowl.  Are we going to win?  Probably not.  We still have a lack of talent in comparison to them.  However, it is at our house, and we are hot.  I hope Mike London isn't in the hat for Paterno successors, and am very excited for the game.  I kind of feel bad though.  After UVA won, my out of this world energy and enthusiasm probably wasn't appreciated by the Sooners' fan I was hanging out with.  They win ALL THE TIME.  They haven't gone through 15 years of frustration.  THEIR frustration is having teams that should win the BCS every year and then they only have won one thus far.  THAT is frustrating, just a different kind.  OHHH.  And UVA basketball is 2-0.  We are a serious sleeper in the ACC.  I presently LOVE both our football and basketball coaches.


7)  I overheard a person at work today talking about her school's huge win over OSU.  She went to Penn State.  She referenced the "bobcat" offense they used.  Wow.  I hadn't heard about this new offense.  WILDCAT.  UGHHH. It reminded me of when I bartended and had to make myself NOT jump in sports conversations.  It would mean that I was invested...with an idiot most of the time.  I used to carry an almanac in my bag before smart phones to prove anything I needed to.  My favorite was the following.  I was walking from one well to the other when a customer said "Michael Jordan was SO overrated."  I smiled, was about to reply, when my bar back, Justin, reminded me of the investment pledge.  Thank you, Justin.  That conversation would have been ugly, I would have lost some tips, and I probably would have gotten written up.


8)  The Iowa State/ OSU game was awesome.  I didn't really have plans for the night,  but also didn't plan on watching it.  I did.  I was SO glad.  I could break down the game, but would rather note an oddity or two.  Before overtime, at Iowa State, the stadium was playing some hard core rap song.  It just felt odd.  Iowa State?  Then, after they won, they played Sweet Caroline.  Am I missing something?  Sweet Caroline?  Confused.


9)  The Phillies very quietly got Shane Wigginton today.  I live in Denver, so I have watched that guy frequently.  I like the pick up.


10)  So, as the NBA makes no progress and possibly ruins my Christmas Day, I am seeing some NBA commercials released.  I am assuming they have to.  They made them, and they have to do SOMETHING with them, right?  Well, the Blake Griffin one where he jumps over a moving car is way over the top.  Not a great effort.  The John Wall commercial?  Horrible.  Absolutely horrible.  I won't tell you about it.  You will know when you see it.  It is basically a 70's commercial made in the 2000's.


11)  The Americans win the President's Cup 19-15.  Tiger does well on the weekend.  Talk about bad rivalries, how is it that the Americans have won 7 of 8 President's Cups, but only 1 of the last 10 for the Ryder Cups?  And did you SEE Tiger Woods' gangster look after the final match...or I should say ATTEMPT at a gangster look?  What was THAT all about?  He must have watched the Nebraska game and seen...nevermind.  this take is going in a horrible direction.  I should stop myself right NOW.


12)  I only went 3-4 for the week in college football.  It was bound to happen.  It brings me down to about 65% for the season, and was my first losing week.  Hope you didn't go hard on my picks this week.  And I am glad that I can't?  Yes.  Retired is good.  Being just a consultant is fun though.


13)  The Jets are in a bad spot.  Not only did they get Tebowed, but now a QB controversy is boiling.  They have a seasoned back up in Mark Brunell.  It depends weather you view "seasoned" as experienced or just old.  You say tomato, I say tomahto.  I have NO idea why I like using that line as much as I do.  Point is this.  Sanchez is still learning, you pay him a lot of money, and there is no controversy.


14)  The problem about Tebow winning on Thursday is that I have to live in this town for TEN days and listening to Tebow crap.  It is painful.  There is no way this works out.  I am going to just keep saying it until it happens.  Over and over.  Sucks that they play in a division where 9-7 might get you in the dance.  No one seems to want it.  The only team that does want it is Denver, and they just suck on paper.  You know what?  I am going to START rooting for the Broncos.  That way, Pittsburgh will have a bye when they draw the Donkeys at our crib.  Tebow THIS!


15)  I am mad I didn't call the Oregon upset.  I should have seen it coming.  USC is one of the few teams in the country that can counter the team speed of Oregon.  They have nothing to play for except to ruin peoples' day.  Matt Barkley has gained my respect by leading a team during this hard time and keeping them in every game.  They barely lost to Stanford.  They win against Oregon.  Hey, SEC, be very glad that they aren't eligible for any post-season games.  You don't want to play these guys.  No one does.


16)  Urban Meyer is being talked about for the Ohio State job.  Hiring him is like hiring the rich man's version of Rich Rodriguez.  They both have funky offenses, so they guarantee that they will get about 3 years to get THEIR kind of players in their system.  It is brilliant.  They are guaranteed 3 years of having a job.  One guy has won it, one hasn't.  By the way, looks like Rodriguez is going to Arizona.  Running QB's?  Sign here.


17)  I think this whole Syracuse involvement in the Penn State stuff will blow over.  After the Cuse won the other night, Boeheim was matter of fact about the allegations.  I look in JoePa's eyes and I question everything.  I look in Jim's eyes, and I can't see something like this getting by him or being tolerated.


18)  I still like the All State mayhem commercials.  I would like to have a drink or two with that guy, and the most interesting man in the world guy.  I think that sounds like a really fun night.


19)  You could ask me a million times.  Even after knowing the score.  You could ask me when I was asleep, drunk, or on drugs.  There is NO WAY I EVER saw the 45-17 Michigan-Nebraska score coming.  Non sequitur.


20)  Clemson and Ryan Fitzpatrick have something in common.  They both laid an egg or two once they either got paid or won their division.  Fitzpatrick might have a 48 Wonderlic, but it is kind of weird that the wheels have come off the bus right after the Bills sign him to a long term contract.  The wheels of the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round.  Clemson.  NC State?  Hey, guys, Wilson is up at Wisconsin.  No excuse for that breakdown.  We will see you in the ACC Championship.  (That just doesn't even FEEL right saying.  It has been a while)


21)  There was a tailgater killed at the Harvard/ Yale game.  I admit it.  I didn't really open the article.  But.  It was a UHaul that killed the tailgater?  Who drives a UHaul to a football game?  I have moved a lot of times.  I am so focused on getting from point A to point B in a very large vehicle, that the LAST thing on my mind is football.  Of course, I would never move during a football game either.


22)  Headline that I feel like I was recently in a DeLorean and went 88mph.  MLB is going top test for HGH now.  Thought that was an obvious reality...like 12 years ago.  Way to catch up...


23)  Houston is 11-0.  Case Keenum did not throw 7 touchdowns like I predicted.  That poor guy.  Him and Kellen Moore need to go out for some beers.  I think they can as both have been in college for like 11 years combined.  He will be in a BCS bowl, be the leading QB in college FBS history, and not have a chance for the Heisman OR national championship.  Sorry, dude.  It is down to Richardson, RGIII, and Luck.  You are not pulling a Andre Ware.


24)  I LOVE two things in life.  I love when that HUGE NFL ref does a game I am watching, and I can make jokes about how he could take half the guys on the field.  And.  I love when refs say something funny.  During the Oregon game, a ref mentioned during a holding call on Oregon that the player was "bear-hugged."  That is funny.  Like the honesty and candor.


25)  The SEC has the top 3 BCS teams.  Hell, if they didn't play each other, the whole top ten could be from their conference.  Can we play an experimental year where they can't play any other team in their conference, and see how many undefeated teams come out of it?


26)  My birthday is over the holidays.  Do not bother me during the Arkansas-LSU game.  I am invested.  I won't go on record and say Arkansas will take this game, but I will say that I am interested in watching the best defense in the nation take on one of the best offenses in the nation.  Something has to give.


27)  Hey, LeBron.  You might not follow MLS, but just so you know, that is the way it is SUPPOSED to work when you try and buy a championship.  The Galaxy just won with Beckham, Keane, and Donovan.  They won though.  That is the main difference.  Otherwise, you two are clones.


28)  Poor Bengals.  They have a solid team, have a QB that was overlooked in most draft predictions, and had to play the Steelers and Ravens back to back.  Tough losses.  I am already a closet Dalton fan.


29) Wilson Ramos is kidnapped and then saved in a gunfight and the Mariners' OF is stabbed...by his brother.  And NO ONE from my special team was involved.  Play the lottery this week, and go 1-1-1. Crazy shit is happening.  Sad stories.


30)  UNC is still #1 in the college bball rankings.  I have to say it.  I think that I might sound like a broken record over the next few weeks.  They ARE good.  Very good.  If Duke can figure out how to start Ryan Kelly over any of the Plumlee brothers, they might have a shot.  Or, the sleepers of the ACC, UVA can take them down.  As Dennis Leary said, you have to have goals.  "I was supposed to be the starting centerfielder for the Boston Red Sox.  Life sucks.  Get a helmet." 


31)  Rex Ryan got fined 75k for cursing out a fan.  Have a feeling there will be many more stories like this upcoming. Not that there is anything WRONG with that.  I love that he is kind of an idiot, he is coaching in a town that is perfect for him, and football needs him to be on the sideline.  It is just...fun.


32)  Short one this week.  I will be doing a Friday rant, as opposed to a Thursday one.  A pre-Arkansas/ LSU rant.  You were always the better magician.  We both know that.  Whatever your secret was, you have to admit, mine was better. I am out.  Peace.  Happy Turkey Day.  I am volunteering.  I will actually miss some football, but I will feel good about it. Late.  

No comments:

Post a Comment