Thursday, November 10, 2011

111011-The safest place on this ship is right behind you...

Read it, don't read it, I don't care...just needed to get some things off my chest.


In no particular order of chronology or importance...


You're not a cook.  Yeah, well...I also cook.


1) First things first.  I want to thank Soonergirl for some very good feedback on Landry Jones and Andrew Luck.  


Soonergirl has left a new comment on your post "110711-Sandra Bullock is not hot.": 

As an OU fan I have watched Landry Jones play for 3 years. Luck is a highly accurate passer with good defense reading skills. Landry is very inconsistent with his accuracy. One game he is great the next way off. Jones also is not polished when going through his reads. Normally he only goes to his primary receiver then his outlet receiver, usually to a back out of the backfield. Rarely does he go to his secondary receiver and never to his 3rd receiver, because he doesn't have the time since he is locked on to the primary receiver too long. Jones has limited mobility and has not learned to step up in the pocket when he is under pressure. Instead he rolls out of the pocket, usually to the right, which is natural for a right-handed quarterback, or gets sacked (although his line has limited that this year). When he rolls out he is vunerable because he is slow and even less accurate when he is on the run, than when he is in the pocket. These are the key differences between Luck and Jones. 

Regarding the Heisman, Luck is a lock for that. Heupel is hurting Jones' chances, but not in the way you think. Heupel's play calling in the red zone, especially inside the 5 yard line is awful-33 and 34 Blast, that's been it. So where Heupel has been hurting Jones's stats is in not throwing to the TE off of play action when the defense stacks 9 in the box. Blake Bell may be taking some stats away from Jones when it comes to passing touchdowns, but as I said passing touchdowns have not been in the offensive play calling. So if your premise is less passing touchdowns are going to cost Jones the Heisman, I doubt it would have made a difference with OU running the "Belldozer". Also, traditionally the Heisman winner has played on a team going to the NC game. Jones, along with a very poor defensive showing, against Tech likely cost them a chance at the NC game and the Heisman. That was one of the games I was referring to where he was horribly inaccurate most of the night (I was there to witness the atrocity in person). I think Stanford is going to sneak in the NC game against LSU, barring a surprise against Oregon. Even if they don't make it Luck still wins the Heisman. 


Some very good observations, some very good detail, with just a few oddities.  My rebuttal/ comments:


-First of all, I think you are missing my point overall.  My selection of Landry Jones as a QB I "like" in those first 6 QB's that will be taken in the first round was stepping outside of the Andrew Luck box.  You throw around some fancy stats, but obviously don't know me and where I was coming from.  I NOTATED we were stepping outside of the Luck love affair.  That being said, I am far from an idiot.  I ALSO realize that Andrew Luck is probably the best NFL QB prospect since John Elway.  I shouldn't be writing in a freaking public sports forum if I didn't recognize that.  This blog steps outside of the box and figures most people reading it understand that I know the obvious takes on an athlete.  Once again, Luck is MUCH better than Jones and if I was picking #1, I would take Luck in a heartbeat.  Are we clear now?  Getting past that "Given" part of this theorem...


-You mention Landry Jones's accuracy.  Sure, he had a 130.8 rating in his first year starting, but his last two years go as follows.  2010: 65.6%, 38-12, 146.3.  2011: 64.6%, 28-9, 155.1.  65% in college in a no-huddle offense?  What the heck are you looking for?  By the way, his yards per completion is only .38 yards behind Mr. Luck this year.


-When I said I liked Jones, once again, this is when you are not looking at the obvious #1.  Maybe I should have stated it more clearly, but I was saying I liked Jones and Foles of the remaining guys.  Also, taking out his statistical breakdown, I like the way Jones carries himself.  He has the composure to be a big leaguer.


-Reads.  I agree with you, but I would add this.  MOST of the college players coming out are still getting used to 2nd and 3rd reads.  The guy is a work in progress.  He will be fine and learn those things by the next level.


-Thanks for clarifying that most right handed QB's roll right.  I didn't know that.  That was called sarcasm by the way.  Most people who write rants also have sarcasm.


-Sacks.  I agree with you.  His line has done much better this year.  The 12 sacks in the first season can be written off, but the 19 in the 2nd season really are inexcusable.


-Out of the pocket.  Uhhhh.  EVERYONE is less accurate out of the pocket.  The sky is blue and the grass is also green.


-Luck is ALMOST a lock for the Heisman.  According to present predictions, it is approximately 74-49-46, with Richardson and Moore hoping to be the party crashers.  First of all on this, I am personally in Trent Richardson's or Kellen Moore's corner for the Heisman if Luck falls off at all.  I think Richardson still made a statement in a loss last week, and Moore just has to hope for a letdown by others.  I say that if Luck stumbles against Oregon, it closes the gap to a little bit less than a lock.  Stanford's Chris Owusu is out this week.  I wouldn't count any chickens yet.  Do I think he wins the Heisman?  Sure.  Do I think it is over right now?  No.


-TE/ Play action point:  I agree with you.


-You mention that Jones's TD's wouldn't go up if Bell wasn't in because they are calling running plays.  Uhhh.  They might call MORE pass plays if Bell wasn't the QB.  Bell is in TO run more plays.  I didn't say it was an over the top winning combo, I was just saying it isn't helping.


-You mention that most of the time, the Heisman winner goes to the national championship game.  Then you mention that Stanford will sneak in the game, but that Luck is a lock if they do or not.  Kind of all over the board.  I will say this.  I think if Luck beats Oregon this weekend, that you are right about the Heisman, but I am going to see what happens Saturday before I go further on this point.


All in all, great points, and you know Sooners football, but I think you misunderstood where I was going on that take.  That being said, with that extremely sound comment, you have earned a signature Fillerbuster Rant T-shirt.  Let me know what size you are and where to send it, and it is yours.


2) Ok.  That was just the first take.  Let's get back to business.  Rest in peace, Joe Frazier.  You were truly a great boxer.  I only got replays.  Watched them all.  Makes me happy that I got Joe Montana, Wayne Gretzky, and Michael Jordan.  Because I sure ass hell got shafted with missing Frazier, Ali, and Foreman and instead got Tyson, Holyfield, and Lewis.  Oh, my bad.  David Haye??  Come on. 


3)  The Florida Marlins are targeting Jose Reyes and Mark Buehrle.  Hey, Marlins, aren't you guys about three years behind your usual plan.  You blindsided everyone in 1997 and 2003.  Every six years.  Thought you would be ALL over 2009.  Florida fans are about as sad as San Antonio fans are happy.  They don't give a shit about this NBA season.  They can't win in even years anyway, so why try.  They are just going to enjoy the time off.


4)  I am watching a new Beavis and Butthead.  I am having a hard time concentrating.  Does it say something about the show that it is back or something about me that it is 20 years later and I still think it is hilarious?  By the way, I was complaining to my buddies that the first episode didn't have the Winger kid drop by.  I was very happy that this episode brought him back.  Very happy.  Cornholio.  The next coming?  Freaking hilarious.


5)  Steve Williams has apologized about his racial slur about Tiger Woods at a caddy banquet.  Fancy.  I thought people couldn't hate Tiger worse, and now he is a victim in this case.  I thought Stevie was a little cooler than he has acted since the "separation."  Remember, my rule is 40% tops.  We know 40% at most of everything that occurs in the sports world.  Forget a fly on the wall reference, I want to be a fly on the golf bag in this case.  Maybe Tiger's downfall had a percentage due to the fact that they weren't talking about wind, yardage, and 5 irons.  They were talking smack.


6)  Now I need flow charts for two reasons.  I need one for the whole WVA situation and super conferences.  I need another for the MLB managerial carousel.  The Red Sox are interviewing Alomar, Jr.  The Cards are interviewing Francona AND Sandberg.  Sandberg is getting INTERVIEWED?  About.  Freaking.  Time.


7)  The Pats release Albert Haynesworth, and the Bucs pick him up.  More proof that if you have the body or skill for the sport, you will have a job.  Tim Legler had a jump shot.  He could have had drug charges and had a domestic assault in one night, and still would have had someone have him at practice the next day.


8)  Posada says there is NO WAY that he will return to the Yankees this upcoming year.  That is like Paterno announcing his retirement ten minutes before he gets fired.  Bad parallel.  More on Paterno, in a serious tone, later.  I had to have ONE joke about it though.


9)  The UCF AD resigns amidst NCAA allegations.  I always laugh when a school gets busted for cheating, and they have sucked for like 10 years.  You guys must be really bad cheaters.


10)  Stephon Marbury ripped MJ for his actions as an owner.  Look up what he said.  I just wanted to report it as I think life is much better when Notre Dame is a top 5 team, Marcus Vick gets drunk, and  and Stephon Marbury talks.  Just enjoy the ride, people.  Hey, Stephon, I still ball in your $14.95 basketball shoes.  Thanks.  You forgot to pass most of your career and you are funny when you talk aloud, but you were good for something.


11)  In my favorite crime of the year, it is official.  Cyclist Floyd Landis is convicted for " dope lab hacking."  Someone make a movie called Tour de Sneakers.  The joke works.  Trust me.


12)  The Nats catcher Wilson Ramos is kidnapped in Venezuela.  I hope he ends up ok, and text me when that news is reported.  I suddenly feel like going to watch a sub par Denzel Washington movie.


13)  Steve Lavin returns to team, and they come back to beat...Lehigh.  Great story, but somehow I don't feel as warm and fuzzy as I should since he is too busy recruiting players who are ineligible.  Great recruiting class.  Shame half of them can't play for a while.


14)  Double take.  Making Tin Cup look like a pansy.  Seven balls?? SEVEN?  John Daly, who won the 91 and 95 PGA titles, pulled another sweet story.  After a triple bogey, Daly hit his 2nd shot into the water 7 straight times.  That is impressive in a lot of ways.  You could say that he is an idiot.  I think that he was "persistent and stubborn to do right."  Damn, I have to stop the sub par Denzel movie already and put in Tin Cup.  Side note.  Are there Hooters bars in Australia?  Just asking.


15)  Cashman is announced that the Yankees have "no plan yet" for the 2012 season.  Gotcha.  No interest in Pujols and no plan.  Personally, I can't WAIT until your next big announcement.


16)  Steelers' Clark rips Goodell for being fined for his hit.  I am a homer for my boys, but will say this.  Stop complaining, Will.  It really doesn't matter if you think it was right or wrong.  I personally like what Goodell has done on all fronts.  If a few more gray area fines go out to protect the players' health, I am ok with it.  It is not like you don't HAVE 40k, Will.  Do I think it was a legal hit?  I think it passed.  I think that the Steelers get hit because their defense is taught to be ferocious.  LeBeau's system is DESIGNED to make players vulnerable, and good hits follow that look bad.  Goodell is doing well.  I would rather have a couple of questionable fines go out and less players beating up their girlfriends and at strip clubs.  I think things are moving the right way.


17)  Except for knowing the right people, the only reason I see that Mike Maddux is getting run for a managerial position is because he took a pretty average pitching roster to the World Series.  Twice.


18)  I am so glad that college basketball is underway.  Because, if I have to hear about how well Melo and LeBron did in their adorable exhibition game one more time, I am going to hurl.  I.  DON'T.  CARE.


19)  Shit.  I scheduled a gym trip for tomorrow after work, but forgot that Michigan State/ UNC game is on at 5pm my time.  Whoops.  I am SO pumped.  Aside from my boss sitting 5 feet from me and being a HUGE UNC fan and me having to hear about Harrison Barnes pretty much ALL season, I am just excited to get this thing rolling.  It will be interesting.  I have played on an aircraft carrier, docked AND at sea. It is different.  Well, different, if they didn't build a whole stadium on the deck.  I know it is about the money and selling tickets, but I wish they would have just played it without the whole stadium around it.  It would have been more fun.  What makes it more fun is that half will be in the light, and the end of the game should be as the sun goes down.  No roof.  I am excited.  This is basketball's version of the outdoor game in the NHL.  It will be awesome.  Patriotic also.  Great idea, people.  ESPN Sports Science had a cool special on this concept.  Don't bother me from 5-730 tomorrow.  I am booked.  By the way, can I request a halftime performer?  Is that allowed?  Is it too late?  Damn.  Lonely Island would have been perfect.  "I'm on a boat.  I'm on a boat.  Everybody look at me, cause I'm sailing on a boat."


20)  Someone give me a Prince CD.  Quick.  The Dallas Stars are 11-3.


21)  Magic Johnson is thinking about ownership in the Dodgers.  I have no joke for this.  Just a report.


22)  I hear Sidney Crosby might be returning tomorrow.  SO excited. I don't care what anyone else says, that guy is the GUY.  There are a lot of good players in the NHL, but he already HAS been special, but the best is yet to come.  Please, man.  Stay healthy.  Don't become the 2000's version of Lindros.  Don't become the hockey version of Grant Hill or Bo Jackson.  Rooting for you, even though I am a Flyers fan.


23)  One of these things is not like the other.  Headlines.  Kyle Busch joins the NBA exhibition tour, Floyd Mayweather speaks to childrens' group, Sebastian Janikowski says he is still a virgin, Ben Roethlisberger is seen at a college bar, and Jay Cutler rallies the Bears to a win.  YOU WIN!  Ben is the only story before last week that could be true.  But Jay did it.  Damn.  Is it bad that I want Jeff George to have company in retirement?  Don't win, Jay.  Come on.


24)  Story that I didn't open but still made me roll off the couch in laughter.  "Shawn Bradley's stolen custom bike is found."  No joke needed.  Hilarious.


25)  You see those?  We got shells for those...


26)  Once again, I will close with the Paterno thing, but from a sports perspective, isn't it sad that this whole thing put a damper on a big game this week?  Nebraska coming to Sad Valley.


27)  The NCAA slaps Ohio State with "failure to monitor."  Can we throw in a "dope hacking charge" to make it more fun?  I am sure Floyd Landis has ridden through Ohio at SOME point in his career.


28)  Soccer player David Testo has come forward and says he is gay.  I really don't like reporting on non-World Cup soccer and it doesn't bother me that he is gay.  I simply noticed that my last rant didn't have one single Seinfeld reference.  Horrible.  This topic is only brought forward so I can say "Not that there is anything wrong with that."


29)  FBS picks:
-Vandy -13 at home against UK:  if this was 14.5, I wouldn't touch it.
-Boise -15.5 home against TCU:  uhhh.  Kellen?  Do this shit.
-Texas -1.5 away vs. Mizzou:  Just because they signed with the SEC, it doesn't mean they ARE an SEC team yet.
-STAY AWAY FROM THE PSU/ NEBRASKA GAME.  far away.
-Mich St. -3 at Iowa:  They will only win by a touchdown, but last time I checked, 3 is less than 7.
-Arkansas -14.5 against UT:  Uhhh.  I am slowly becoming convinced
-Oregon +3.5 at Stanford:  Fuck it.  I am going on record.  Stanford's wideout being out is the thing that pushes me over.
-Bama -18.5 at Miss St.:  wounded dog theory.
-Notre Dame -21 at Maryland:  even without ND, this game would get air time because of Maryland's ugly uniforms


30)  Paterno.  Damn. Side note, is there a 24/7 suicide watch on Sudusky?  I would definitely watch that guy.  He probably is more mad about ruining Paterno than doing horrible things with those kids. I want to change my death pool picks.  Seriously though, I don't have kids.  I couldn't IMAGINE.  Sure, it depresses me that my favorite coach in football was negligent in this situation, but it depresses me as a human being.  COULDN'T imagine being a parent and reading this story, let alone a parent of one of those kids.  This thing will only get worse.  My thoughts go out to the kids and families involved in this thing.  I can't BELIEVE Paterno said he would retire at the END of the season.  If you were a player, how could you LOOK at that guy with the stuff going on?  Side note.  I know we wanted to hear what he had to say, but these words will RUIN him and PSU and the train of lawsuits that are coming their way.  "I WISH I WOULD HAVE DONE MORE."  I don't have to be a law school graduate to recognize that lawyers are going to eat him alive on that comment.  Here is the problem.   Paterno is PSU as WE know it, because he has coached longer than most of us have lived.  BUT.  PSU IS bigger than Joe.  Happy trails, Joe.  I loved you as a coach, but evidently I loved what I thought you were not.  You seemed so upfront and honest, but the one situation that you could have been proactive, upfront, and honest, you failed humanity, your school, and a bunch of families.  I say we only know 40% of the sports stories.  On this one, I don't want to know any more.  Sad, sad, story.


31)  That last take got me sad.  I am out of here.  I can't even end with jokes.  I just am not in the mood.  My half hearted attempt is "Keep the faith, Strannix."  Peace.  Talk to you Monday.

1 comment:

  1. For starters, and in the spirit of resect for our banter, you have also made some good points. Now-

    - Note that most of my focus was on LJ not Luck. I did misinterpret some of your position as I read it as that Jones and Luck were comparable QB's. I also recognize I put my foot in my mouth in regards to Luck/Heisman comments now that we have witnessed the Oregon-Stanford game (though I had to picture it in my mind with text updates and watch the highlights on sports center). But seriously, who thought Oregon was a lock for the win there? Oh wait, you did. HOWEVER...that game along with some other factors has renewed my optimism that OU will travel to New Orleans for the NC game (to lose, most likely) and I do appreciate your picking OU to beat OSU 'from the beginning'. I'll give you credit where credit is due...

    Back to business.

    - The main point I was making was that Jones could sucker in the casual observer (and maybe professional observer as well) with his statistics.

    - I disagree that it is a given that Jones will improve his reading skills. He has one of the best, if not the best QB coaches in college football in Heupel. The game situations are where the coaching goes in to action, but usually instincts take over. Very interesting stats about LJ QB ratings & completion percentages. But you know what they say about statistics (sarcasm here since that is expected).

    - Since I am new to reading your blog, I'm still figuring out your style. Stepping outside the box is your style-okay got it. I see that now and will keep it in mind. However, when you make certain statements, those that are within the box may subject to analysis. In the future I will make sure I look for your cleverness.

    - I disagree that EVERYONE is less accurate out of the pocket. But you really missed MY point about this. Because Jones has such poor mobility when he scrambles (in that he has at least one guy on top of him), his scrambling is a mistake. He should be stepping up in to the pocket instead of bailing out, which he has not mastered in all his time in college. A flaw in his game that needs to be corrected, if it can be. This is a point you completely ignore in your response, but I understand why (a little more sarcasm for you).

    - I also disagree that more pass plays would be called for Jones if the Belldozer had not been implemented. Heupel (and Kevin Wilson his predecessor) has not demonstrated a willingness in the most recent 2 years to play action pass inside the 5 yard line (see Texas A & M last year- 3 times inside the 5- zero points). The did do it quite a bit with Jermaine Gresham but have gotten away from it as I mentioned. Until the play calling with Bell came in to being there was the same 32 & 34 blast play calls (that play is a running play between the guard and center or the guard and tackle).

    - So by now I am potentially at risk of having your t-shirt offer revoked, but wasn't about to let you slide without a response. If you can take as well as give it how about a medium. If you don't have any in stock I'll take a Fillerbuster jersey instead. I'll be sure to get you my address. Boomer Sooner...

    ReplyDelete