Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Meet Me Halfway...

Read it, don't read it, I don't care...just needed to get some things off my chest.


In no particular order of chronology or importance...


1)  I am not saying that Wisconsin basketball is in peril.  They never really have to reload because they have Bo Ryan, a system that works no matter whether they are 3 star, 4 star, or 5 star recruits, are masters at making sure not a lot of in state recruits leave the premises, and have a home arena that is one of the toughest to win at if you are the visitor.  That being said, a sub par Iowa State/ transfer U went into Madison and took down the Badgers.  The Badgers were 3-28 from the 3 pt line.  This could either mean something about Iowa State or Wisconsin.  I am going with the latter as I think Wisconsin's below the radar talent level is slightly below below the radar, although I do recognize that Iowa State had some hidden talent come in there.  One thing is for certain.  Should Iowa State get on the bubble, that win is huge.


2)  I wish the San Diego Padres would make up their mind.  Either suck, or don't.  They give away talent over the last two years to contenders, and then they go out and pick up Carlos Quentin from the White Sox.  Confused.


3)  I know.  You might not have known who he was before the season.  You might not even have cared after I told you about him here.  That being said, remember the name Andre Drummond, the last second pickup for UCONN basketball.  His stats are showing he is getting comfortable.  Combine that with the surprise that is Ryan Boatright, and you have another UCONN team that no one will want any part of come March.


4)    Tee Shepard is a CB intending on going to Notre Dame.  He has been pulled USC's way lately and has announced he will pull the winner out of a hat at one of the upcoming All-Star games.  Wow.  It might be a push, and maybe Barkley and friends coming back confused him, but that is a pretty big decision to be making it by party tricks.


5)  Kentucky beats up on Louisville.  Yup, Louisville has the players who will scrape out a few wins against some semi-heavyweights, if everything is aligned, but the UK game really showed to me that they don't have the full cupboard to be a Final Four threat.  It is actually very odd seeing a Pitino team who doesn't have the full load of shooters.  In addition, they can't beat anyone when they have amount of early fouls as it affects their pressing style.  Sure, they are not going to play too many teams that are that large up front, but there are enough big teams out there to really frustrate them.  It felt like UK was literally getting every single rebound in the second half.


6)  Winter Classic.  As always, it was really fun to watch.  Hockey.  Outside.  Cold weather.  Awesome.  I wasn't really happy to see the Rangers come back and score 3 straight to take down Philly, but I think Philly fans really enjoyed what happened the day before, when we got to see Lindros skate again in the Alumni game, and to see that him and Clarke said hello pretty cordially.


7)  Speaking of hockey and Philly, here is an odd side note.  It didn't happen in Philly amazingly enough, but a 16 yr old Canucks fan got a concussion from a drunk, middle-aged Sharks female fan.  It is JUST a game, people.


8)  I don't know if the commercial is national or not and don't really care, but I saw this Jos A. Bank commercial where if you buy ONE suit, you get 6 free things (shirts, ties, etc.).  There has to be a catch.  That is...like TOO many free things. Huhh.


9)  Just Google "Sam Thompson Ohio State Dunk Indiana."  There should be two of them listed.  I rolled off the couch on both of them.  The highlight film kid first took an overhead thrown alley-opp and posterized another lad.  The second, a few minutes later, was off an inbounds play.  Wow.  Wow.  Wow.  In that Indiana/ Ohio State game, there was a span of about 5 minutes game time in the second half where there was all quality scoring and no whistles.  Very enjoyable basketball...especially compared with that ugly game between Louisville and Kentucky earlier.  Three other things on this game:
-must be nice having Jordan Hulls, a 95% FT shooter, at crunch time for Indiana
-if I was a upcoming high recruit, I would at least take a visit to Indiana-love what Crean is building.  They are a year away from being true contenders, but they are badass youngsters over there.  In addition, they are not one and doners like Calipari believes in.
-Buford's from the moon 32 pointer down two was really odd.  I guess that is why you need to have your timeouts left, because no matter how mature the player, they are still kids pretty much.


10)  In the "the joke is on the tip of my tongue but I can't finish it"  category, Larry the Cable guy does Prilosec commercials these days. I just can't put it all together, but it is there.


11)   Wow, Auburn Tigers football.  Ruthless.  UVA is an up and coming football team, and you are the defending champions who lost all of your major talent.  Then, you have to pull a statue of liberty play for a score and then an onside kick on the kickoff?  Brutal.  Play nice, SEC teams.


12)  Holmes and Sanchez are clashing, they are wasting a great defense, they don't even make the playoffs when their coach guaranteed a championship, the Rex Ryan fad is getting pretty old at this point, and Sanchez is being tossed around in trade/ draft/ free agency conversations.  Things are not so fancy in New York/ Northern Jersey unless you on the other part of that region's team bandwagon.


13)  Bucs fire Raheem Morris.  You know?  Sure they flamed out, but I would have given that young coach one more year.  Your players are pretty young overall so the window of opportunity is still pretty large, and I think the coach has a lot of fire.  I remember a guy named Bill Cowher going 6-10 one year with a pretty good squad and no one yanked the carpet out from under him.  Then he won a Super Bowl.


14)  The sky is blue, the grass is green, and DeMarcus Cousins is unhappy.  Cousins is demanding a trade out of Sacramento.  Dude.  Put together a few months consecutively of good behavior and above average stats and then get back to us.  How I am already tired of your antics is beyond me, but understandable?  Come on.  You and Tyreke try and get along with the Jimmer and realize you don't have a bad core.  Maybe not Jimmer in my opinion (at the NBA level), but at least you can build your rebounding stats, DeMarcus.  Translation.  Jimmer shoot a LOT.


15)   McDonalds fries are like my favorite food ever.  I haven't dipped them in anything while eating...ever.  That being said, and I haven't heard the words to the ad yet, I saw a commercial with farmers in fields holding pure Idaho potatoes.  You are like a Stallone trucker movie...a little Over the Top (just popped in my head-I actually kind of used to dig that movie).


16)  Andrew Jones is to rejoin the New York Yankees next year.  Even when he was on other teams, I just FELT like he should be a Yankee.  He didn't exactly live up to the hype when drafted, but he just has that presence to me.


17)  Lake Superior State University has come out with its annual list of words that should be banished from the English language.  Words like "amazing" and "occupy" would be missed, people.  I get "man cave" being nominated, but still don't want to see it go.  The kicker for me is a saying I use in multiple work emails on a daily basis.  "Thanks in advance??"  Say it ain't so.


18)  This week was the anniversary of The Great One scoring 50 goals in 39 games.  Do I even need to comment on that stat?  If Crosby gets better suddenly in the next month or two and stays injury free for the REST of his career, he might get within 500 goals of Gretzky's overall point total.  Wow.


19)  Mike Rosario transfers from Rutgers to Florida in basketball.  Statement?  UF goes to Jersey and gets nipped in 2 OT's.  Karma is a bitch, man.  


20)  No pun intended, but mark my words.  Listen, they lost to Indiana State and Cleveland State at home.  I know they did.  But their big man, and one of several NBA prospects on that team, is back and getting back into the groove.  Do NOT sleep on Vandy.  The SEC's bottom level teams are pretty bottom level to say the least.  I feel a winning streak, along with win against UK and/ or Florida on the horizon.  Watch them come tourney time. Oh, and they just SMOKED a pretty damn good Marquette team.


21)  Changing of the guard?  We will see.  I think he still has some juice left, but Federer getting smoked by Djokovic early on this past week is not a good start.  Getting old in tennis happens very fast, and very early.  People can crack on the toughness of tennis players all they want (JOE).  It is an easy sport to play.  It is a tough sport to be good at.


22)  I hear Pujols adjusted his deal so the Angels could get Wilson too.  So, he is good and a good guy?  We need more of them.  I know.  It is kind of funny.  It is not like he is taking minimum salary or anything, but cut me a break.  I don't know what it is like differentiating between 20 mil a year and 23 mil a year (or whatever it was).  It still is giving, right?


23)  Hey, LeBron.  You turned 27 this week I hear.  Sure, you will always have the Jordan argument as far as when you are finally going to get one as he was a "late" bloomer also, but I can't imagine that will happen very often in our generation.  You better get started, bro.


24)  I am a long time retired bettor.  I don't regret anything about the quitting, but I have to admit.  I cared a LOT less every bowl season since I am not worried about whether my team covered the line since the winner did not exactly win anything except for a better ranking.


25)  It is the new year, and I am once again not very pumped about people going to the gym with all of their resolutions.  They crowd up the place for a month.  I wish gyms had two locations for every brand.  One is for long timers, and then one for "I hope to get in shape but am not sure if I am going to stick with it."  Kind of like a Triple AAA system in baseball.


26)  I know that writing "live" takes doesn't make sense during this rant, as you will be reading it hours/ days later, but I am watching the craziest end of a basketball game I have seen in a while.  Not only did Wisconsin just drop ANOTHER home game, but check this out.  In OT, a Wisconsin player dropped a 3 pointer to "tie" it.  That is not the weird part.  The clock above the rim was .2 seconds faster than the one on the arena "facade."  They call it good, but since one clock was .2 seconds faster than the other, they went with the faster clock.  Crazy shit.  Oh.  And Wisconsin drops another one.


27)  I hear the Harry Potter movie is breaking records and had people camping out to get in to see it.  I am going to keep my streak alive.  I have not seen ONE SINGLE second of any of the movies.  I will treat it like eating a green olive straight up.  I have never had one even though I bartended for 14 years, they scare me, and I can promise you that unless someone's life depended on me eating a green olive, I will never have one.  If I do have to eat one someday, I will yell out BOSCO right before I eat it.  Awesome Seinfeld reference, people.


28)  You should Google the Honeybadger video by Randall something from ESPN.  You should do it before the LSU/ BAMA game next week.  It is pretty cool, although I will still take a Mongoose pound for pound for toughness.  And Rikki Tikki Tavi will always be my favorite cartoon...ever.   Unless, they make an Airwolf cartoon someday.  Plus, if you Google that, you might catch the ESPN interview.  I was multi-tasking at the time and am not sure how he phrased it, but heard him somehow correlate a football question into a girl answer.  Let me know what you find out.


29)  Brock Lesnar loses quickly, and then retires.  Dammit.  How the HELL am I ever going to get into that sport if the only people I have heard of keep retiring?  Does Gracie have a kid yet?


30)  Headline that made me laugh just because I am glad someone has as dumb of humor as I do.  This past week, Dockett "docked 30k for hit."  What did the fish say when he ran into the wall?  Damn.


31)  I didn't verify it.  I admit it.  I didn't get it on the first Google search and have a lot to get to still.  I THOUGHT I heard that Oklahoma's present squad just broke the record for most consecutive bowls at 13.  If true, that number would surprise me.  With their immaculate winning tradition, and still knowing their mid to late 90's they were retooling, I was still floored about hearing about that.  Check this out though.  While looking up that stat, guess who are the top 3 teams in consecutive bowls (of course, the stat is not as impressive with the number of bowls we have these days, but still...)?  Not teams like Bama, ND, OU, etc.  Not perennial old school powers.  Nope.
30-FSU
21-UF
19-Va Tech


Now here is the stat that I know you have been losing sleep over.  I am here for you.  Utah is 12-4 in its last 16 bowl games, the highest percentage of any team that has been to more than 10 bowls.


32)  Stats I think I saw that I refuse to check on. Sorry.  I guess that is two straight takes I am not double checking.  Whatever.  I am still pretty sure they are right.  Thierry Henry I hear is coming to the NYC Red Bulls.  This, a couple days after I think I heard that Beckham is coming back to LA.  This is my mandatory soccer take that is not World Cup related.  I hope you enjoyed it.


33)  If you missed Nene posterizing Matt Barnes from the Lakers this past weekend, Google it.  It was nasty.  Ms. Jackson nasty (watch the video of Janet Jackson "Nasty" from the 80's if you don't get that joke)...  Also, in the same game, there is love for the game/ fighting for your job and love for the game/ fighting for your job.  Derek Fisher, you diving for that ball late in the game to help your team win and having the sense to call a TO was gutsy, and made me realize why I love the game of basketball so much.  Gallinari, you not being able to finish a left handed layup reminded me why I doubt that love so much.  


34)  I have to keep you updated on my Cholula fetish.  I poured it on Fettucini Alfredo today.  It worked awesomely.


35)  The Nuggets.  Don't worry about me making a long take on this.  I am not a hater, but probably shouldn't be considered a fan either.  That being said.  I think Mozgov is extremely important to this puzzle.   He is showing flashes at being a serviceable center.  I think he is important when facing some of the bigger guys in the NBA.  Average 10 and 10 and everyone is happy.  On that note, hello, Nene.  You should be passed this "flashing" stage.  You are huge, can shoot, and just got a new contract.  Let's finally play up to you potential.


36)  He might have been the lowest ranked of the super class that came into UK, but Michael Kidd-Gilchirst is loudly showing us that he might be the jewel, and the key to stopping that other super recruiting class on Tobacco Row in March.


37)  I loved how they named the UCLA/ Illinois bowl game the "Interim Bowl."  That's it.  No follow up comments.  I just found it funny.


38)  Every time I watch BYU play basketball, I just wonder.  What would that team done in the tourney last year if Brandon Davies wasn't suspended?  They are still pretty good, and they pretty much just brought him back.


39)  I hear the VA Tech kicker is in trouble.  Wow, they recruit some loser kickers.  Well, I guess since Bill Gramatica is retired now, and Janikowski is in the middle of his kicking prime, so we DO need new blood.  Rock it out, man.


40)  In other kicker related news, Ryan Succop just signed an extension with the Chiefs.  Sure, I could use his last name in a dry wit joke, but I think it is more important to give you useless information that maybe you can win drinks on in bars.  He was the 256th pick, last pick, and Mr.  Irrelevant of the 2009 draft.  Use it.  No one knows that shit outside of KC.


41)  Match.com has a commercial I personally think is...ambiguous and in the grey area.  The happy girl says to the guy, "So, what do like to eat?"  The guy replies...ok ok.  I am backing off this take.  My mom reads this.  Let it go, Fillerbuster.


42)  We are starting a new golf season.  Forget what I have promised the last two years in this rant, and don't make any Rex Ryan jokes about me.  THIS is the year that Tiger makes the greatest comeback of all time in golf.  He will rule.  Promise.


43)  The same person who said that Tom Brady wouldn't have started in the 80's or 90's told me today that Troy Polamalu is in the twilight of his career.  The Broncos played at the same time as the Steelers, so I understand why he might have missed the Tecmo Bowl QB sack in that game.  I am going to cover the future game here in a second, but I would just call that denial and fear of what is going to happen this weekend in the Mile High City.


44)  Hey, Stanford kicker.  Dan Mowrey, Xavier Beitia, and Gerry Thomas ALL called me tonight.  They need your number and would like to go out for beers.


45)  Speaking of "twilight" of careers and then some, I kind of got excited that Tracy McGrady had 16 pts in a win over the Heat last night.  Nice job, bro.  Injuries derailed you, I still kind of root for you, but we both know you had at least 2-3 great teams that you could have made a run with.


46)  Two part laugh.  The Florida Gators being in a sub par bowl AND that bowl being the "Gator" Bowl.  He He He.


47)  So, the old Mavs give the young Thunder their first loss, and the young Hawks give the seasoned Heat THEIR first loss.  THAT is why we play the season.


48)  Baylor basketball is still perfect.  I should be happy.  They were preseason ranked between 10-17, and I called them as my Final Four pick.  I NEED to see some more quality PG play.  March=PG/PG/PG.


49)  The Colts diss Polian.  The Eagles are keeping Reid.  The Chargers are keeping Turner.  One of these things is not like the other (sung acapello).  Next to Reid and/ or Turner in the dictionary..."what to do to JUST keep your job."


50)  The Bears fire their GM.  What the hell did he have to do with their letdown?  Injuries take away every skill position, and you get rid of him?  Confused.


51)  The sky is blue, the grass is green, and Jeff Fisher is being interviewed for a head coaching gig.  Go figure.  I don't think he will run the Wildcat/ Bobcat (see earlier rant for that joke) as much though.


52)  How the hell have the Timberwolves not offered Kevin Love an extension?  Correct me if I am wrong.  He is young, hits the boards, is classy, is healthy, and was one of the most improved players in the NBA last season.  Talk about my 40% rule.  He must be a jackass in the locker room, because I.  Just.  Don't.  Get.  It.  In the words of Rounders, "pay him.  Pay that man his money."


53)  Here it comes.  I TOLD you the Nationals were going to make a move.  Told you.  I am not even a fan...just had a feeling.  Anyway, they are "talking" to Prince Fielder.  Word is that Jayson Werth is very supportive, as he left a contender and then sucked.  Everything helps.


54)  The Rams fire Spagnuolo.  Some lucky person is coming into a much better team than their record reflects.  Franchise QB.  Stud RB. AND.  They have the second pick and don't need a QB, so they can trade that pick for LOTS.  I would take that job if I was on the market for coaching.  Unfortunately, I am just a blogger.


55)  The EPL thing is going on in soccer.  Man City just took the lead (is Man U and Man City two separate teams?).  I am just reporting it.  I don't hate soccer-I just can only get into the World Cup.  If you are going there, hit me up.  See you in 2014 in Rio.


56)  Vontaze Burfict.  Or you can just say a slightly different version of the stud that is Von Miller this season.


57)  Editor's note (that is me by the way).  Apparently, I said last rant "take that and remind it back."  This is true stream of consciousness, people.  I don't re-read this shit after I write it.  No editing, and limited Google.  I meant "rewind" by the way.


58)  I love flow charts, control groups, glam rock, and Seinfeld.  We are at 6 games or thereabouts in the NBA.  Not enough for a true control group, but let's take a look at the standings.
-Eastern Conference
-Atlantic: Boston has recovered.  They are the Vandy of the NBA.  Don't sleep on them.
-Central: Cleveland is 3-2, but will still have some ridiculous losing streak.  They suck.
-Southeast: EXACTLY the way they will finish.
Western Conference
-NW: Minnsota will rise, and Portland will fall.
-Pacific: It is simply the Clippers and Lakers.
-SW: Dallas will rise still.  This is the old man's division.  It is San Antonio and Dallas.  That is it, with some shitty young team sneaking in the playoffs because they allow too many teams in.


59)  NFL Picks:
(I will try and keep this short, even though the Broncos have pulled a Costanza and "made worlds collide")
-NO over Detroit:  Dome.  Dome.  Dome.
-Atlanta over NYG:  Away, but the better team.
-Cincy over Houston:  Cincy has pulled a Hall & Oates this season.  They are "so close, yet so far away."  That being said, they are closer than Houston.
-Pitt over Denver:  Come on.  Am I worried about Ben being hobbled?  Of course.  Am I worried about Mendenhall being out?  Of course.  Am I the most worried about Ryan Clark no playing because of altitude?  Absolutely.  The key in this game?  We are in the playoffs.  This is not our first rodeo, and if anyone can figure out the enigma wrapped in a religious puzzle that is Tebowmania, it is Dick Lebeau.  I am not even going to the game.  Hell, I want to watch it at home, as I do all Steelers games that are on national TV.   But this is a MC commercial?  Being in a public place when your team ends Tebowmania?  Priceless.


60)  Two quick final takes.  This Michigan/ Va Tech game where both teams don't belong.  Crap.


61)  As far as Rodgers vs. Brees for MVP?  I hate to do it, but if you go 15-1 with pretty badass numbers, that overrides a record breaking season with a lesser record.  I don't have a vote, but I would vote for Aaron Rodgers.


62)  That is it.  Until next time.  As the person who can now come back to my church would say after this Sunday, NOW I'm done.

1 comment:

  1. Do you really think the Steelers can stop Tebowmania? That is like saying Rush Limbaugh's idiocal denials will stop global warming. There is one reason that people go crazy over the guy... religion. The only thing that can stop him is he is caught paying a massage therapist for meth while getting a... OK, I'll stop.
    v

    ReplyDelete