Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Here, pelican, pelican, pelican...

Read it, don't read it, I don't care...just needed to get some things off my chest.


In no particular order of chronology or importance...


Schedule is ALL out of whack.  BCS last night, my usual night.  Thursday is UVA vs. Duke, so obviously I am not writing during that.  So, I will write tonight and I guess one over the weekend...let's turn and burn.


1)  OK.  Alright.  I won't wait to talk about it.  Let's just get this shit out of the way RIGHT now.  Steelers/ Broncos.  I was there.  I got to feel the pain up close and personal.  Sure, there was some magic involved that I couldn't really believe, but I was impressed overall, overcome, and admit the better team that day won, which is exactly why they play the game.  Otherwise, that little Villanova/ Georgetown thing back in 1985 wouldn't have happened either.  Random thoughts:
-I think I was right.  I am not exactly splitting the atom here when I say this, but Ryan Clark's absence absolutely KILLED them.  Not only did they lose their leading tackler, but his absence took Polamalu off his game.  He was distracted by the absence of his boy back there, and therefore cheated when he shouldn't have cheated, and wasn't in his assigned area when he was supposed to be.  Him playing centerfield late when the Steelers were NOT up was disturbing to say the least.
-Pouncey missing also took their already depleted running game to a lower level.
-Big Ben perhaps shouldn't have played, OR maybe should have been pulled when they were down.  I don't care if they came back.  A couple of those sacks absolutely killed my boys.
-I think Dick Lebeau refused to change his approach.  I personally got the feeling that he said "we are the Steelers, and we are just going to do what we do."  No adjustments, lots of pride.
-I am not saying he is the savior.  I am not saying God is on his side.  Let's just say that I vow to not hate Tebow as much after he took it to my boys.  Other games, you could have said it was the Denver defense mainly, with 2 minutes of Tebowing.  Not Sunday.  Sure, the defense handled their job, but that kid showed me something Sunday. That last sentence hurt.  A lot.


Nice job Broncos, and thanks to the Denver fans around me who were civil, knowledgeable, and made my loss much easier to take. Aside from the ending, I had a great time and game experience.


2)  Let's get back to business now that I have owned up to that shit.  Hey, Louisville basketball.  When I said you don't have the goods to make a long run, I didn't mean for you to go to Providence and literally get smoked.  The end of the game is on, and it is brutal.  Didn't I say you were at least still going to be scrappy enough to beat some big boys?


3)  Hope you didn't take any of my picks.  Obviously, I lost the Bronco game pick.  I also underestimated home field and a great defense in Houston.  That team is being built like the Thunder from the NBA.  The right way.  Houston took Mario Williams years ago over Reggie Bush with a lot of controversy.  That turned out fine.  Then, last year, they concentrate on defense in free agency.  That turned out good.  Aside from having bad luck of losing two quality QB's this year, that team has a lot of upside.  I hope they lose though. I want my UVA alumni Schaub to be guiding them when they make their run one of these years.  The Giants.  They had a great game plan and obviously played against just warm bodies in Atlanta.  Here I thought that since Atlanta DIDN'T show up when they had the #1 seed last year, that they might make some noise this year.  Boy, was I wrong.  The Saints.  Easy call, and they are playing scary good right now.  I like them to take out the 49ers.


4)  In my weekly Ricky Rubio update, the kid had 14 assists the other night.  Give him another 2 months.  Even if you think you hate the NBA game, catch one of his games.  Dude is sure fun to watch. Stats for the season: 10.8 pts, 7.5 assists, 3.9 rebounds.


5)  The Washington Wizards are the antithesis of fun to watch.  Their roster is horrible, When Nick Young is your leading scorer, Andray Blatche is your 3rd leading scorer, John Wall is averaging only 6.8 assists, and Rashard Lewis has evidently aged 10 years in two years, you don't have much to cheer for.  May the force be with you guys...against some dubious records.  Of course, as I go through this to clean it up, I find out they won tonight.


6)  Barry Larkin gets the HOF call.  Awesome.  Great guy, incredible baseball player, and well-deserving.


7)  My heart goes out Joe Philbin this week.  A week before their first playoff game and with the offense counting on him for the plan, his son's body is found in a river.  No foul play.  Wow.  I couldn't even imagine, and now will be rooting for the Packers more than ever in that game.


8)  The Chargers will be in San Diego for the 2012 season.  Cool.  Thanks for the info, people.  Hey, Chargers, talk to you next December.


9)  Your first PGA winner this year?  Steve Stricker wins at Kapalua.  I love his game, I love the guy, and I love the story.  Bro, can you sneak in a major at some point?  Side note.  Tiger will play the February Pebble Beach tournament.  I think it is good timing for him.  He is playing a month into the official season, practicing a little more before, and playing a course he is familiar with.  (Play Jaws music)  I don't think you will have to worry about him being on top at every tournament, but I personally think he snags 2 majors.  Masters. British.  I think the US Open will be Stricker's, or some tighter hitting golfer like him.  I think the PGA will be this year's "who the hell is he major winner?"  Not like we haven't had enough of those over the last few years (parity SUCKS).  Side note #2.  I got excited this week seeing my first Masters commercial, even though the tournament is not until April.


10)  I had an odd injury today that got me out of starting to run at lunch (besides the fact that I usually just work through it).  This morning, my backpack slipped off my shoulder.  The good news?  The computer is fine.  The bad news?  It didn't break because my second to last toe cushioned it's fall.  I hope it is not broken.  Not because I am not insured, but because I will obviously have to think of a better story than that when I go to the doctor.


11)  Take that, team that schooled my Cavs in the bowl game.  Not only did the oddity occur that I have mentioned before of Auburn's OC going to Arkansas STATE, but apparently their star running back has followed him there.  Michael Dyer will transfer and follow his coach.  Boy, I bet the rest of the Sun Belt teams are loving the arrival of those two.


12)  The Nuggets are hot!  The Nuggets are fresh and exciting!  The Nuggets lose to NEW ORLEANS at HOME this week.  Come on guys.  If you are going to take it to the next level this year, you have to win the games you should.  Team you are better than AND at home.  Come on.  Remember, the control group is 16 games less this year.


13)  Dennis Leary just SOUNDS like he should be talking during a Ford commercial.  The only relevant comparison I can think off off the top of my head is that Jon Gruden just SOUNDS like he should be announcing football.  Kind of like a smart Jerry Glanville.


14)  The Ohio State/ Illinois basketball game just started.  I almost had to turn the channel.  There was this horrible cell phone ring or something you could hear every 5 seconds in the background...for ten minutes.  Someone obviously finally told ESPN.  Still, pretty big glitch for a heavyweight TV company.


15)  In making sure they don't sign up new people without taking care of the people who made them even close to respectability last year, the Angels re-signed Howie Kendrick.  He is an awesome second baseman who is unfortunately only really known in baseball circles.  You will know him, people.  Hitting in the vicinity of Pujols tends to do that.


16)  I hear that a mini-playoff system is coming in the next BCS deal. See?  They read my rant, also.  The sky is blue, the grass is green, and you all are plain stupid for being the only sport without some sort of playoff system.  The BCS title game (more on that later) drew the 2nd lowest ratings of all time  (no one likes rematches?).  Better do something.


17)  You grab the flux capacitor.  I will grab the DeLorean.  We will pick up Marcus Vick and Metta World Peace to add fun to the mix.  We are going back to 2000.  I hear the Sixers just have won 6 straight. If you would have told me that they would be doing this with a NOT reinvigorated Elton Brand averaging 8.1 points, I would have thought you were smoking crack.  Early leader for coach of the year has officially marked his territory like a wolf.


18)  RGIII goes pro.  Might as well, bro.  I haven't seen anyone rise up Kiper's board since that lineman who jumped OUT of the swimming pool 5 years ago on video, your team is not a contender next year, and your main receiver is leaving too.  You going pro is like an Old Milwaukee commercial.  "It doesn't get any better than this."


19)  The Raiders fire Hue Jackson.  I like your passion after your last loss, but think it was a little overboard considering you don't get along with the new GM.  Word is that they are bringing in someone he has worked before.  Go figure.  It is enough to have one of the most polarizing teams around, and have your controversial leader die while still having a pretty bad team.  If you are going to turn over a new leaf with the franchise, you might as well make sure the GM and coach get along, right?


20)  What year is it?  How many freaking coaches have you gone through in the last 6 years?  Notre Dame just gave Brian Kelly a two year extension.  Ok. So, you are happy with two 8-5 seasons.  Ok.  But the dude had 3 more years left at a program looking for stability. I understand you will get a few more recruits because of this, but I think you could have waited one more year.  Where is the patience?


21)  Florida football snags Boise State's OC.  Come on, statue of liberty.  In the regular season.  Yay.


22)  I don't know much about the movie.  I am not going to look it up-sometimes more fun when I don't know what the hell I am talking about with no research.  I am just saying.  That new movie, "The Devil Inside," with some spirit jumping from person to person, reminds of the plot from that Denzel Washington movie from back in the day, "Fallen."  You know, the one where I am still not sure what happened to the spirit (like Deja Vu, where I had to flowchart how the hell everything happened how it happened (damn, those time warp movies), but I digress)  Redeeming factor?  I hope they figured out a way to get that shitty INXS song SOMEWHERE within the movie.  Come on.  Like at a dance club.  Or on the car radio.  You can DO it.


23)  Article that I am surprised I got tricked and opened (good headline, headline people)..."Cyborg banned 1 year for steroids."  Got tricked into a women's MMA article.  Damn.


24)  Yay.  Floyd Mayweather is back on the radar.  Fresh off his suspended jail sentence, Floyd decided to tweet shit to Manny Pacquiao, calling him out for a May 5th bout.  Listen, I want the fight-bad.  I still think it is funny.  "Hey, Manny, drop everything you are doing, and fight me...before I have to go to JAIL."  Too funny.  Floyd?  That is why you are on my special team.


25)  OK.  ESPN did not fix the problem.  That cell phone sound is back.  I don't remember EVER in the last 5 years such a huge programming glitch.  Wow.


26)  Skip to take #27 if you have no interest in a recap of the BCS championship game. 
LET ME SAY THIS.  Some people think both games were boring.  I thought BOTH of them were defensive masterpieces.  Actually, they were pretty much the same exact game, just minus a couple big plays by Matthieu.
(Mini-homage to Bill Simmons)
6:29-I am SO glad Musburger and Herbstreit got this game.  I had a nightmare the night before that Cris Collingsworth was going to sit it.  It was horrible.
6:30-Kickoff-LSU ball
6:32-Jefferson fumbles on a big 3rd and 2, but then punter/ badass Brad Wing kicks it OVER Maze's head.
6:34-LOTS of play action by Bama.  They are using the fear of Trent Richardson.  It gets me thinking.  It is SO weird and truly a change of times that TR might be the only RB drafted in the first round, is awesome NFL material, and RB's used to be selected FIRST back in the day.  Hey, KiJana, you ruined it for everyone.  If you check out the top five rushers this year in the NFL, none of them were first rounders.
6:39-Bama RUNS it on 3rd and 5.  What?  Is what's his name already designing plays for CSU?
6:40-The "summoner" commercial.  Damn, that dude reminds me of me sitting at that painful-looking fine dining restaurant table.
6:41-1st flag-LSU.  This will become a painful trend.  First downs will be precious enough in this game.  Don't let flags put you in holes.
6:44-Coincidentally short the yardage of the flag, LSU has to punt.
6:45-Maze has an incredible punt return, unfortunately tweaking his hamstring in the process.  Grey cloud hovers over the Bama bench.
6:46-Hey, it is that eye patch, road side ditch commercial.  So clever.
6:49-First mention of OC going to CSU.  Evidently, 3 on the fence 3 star recruits committed 5 minutes after hearing that.  They had to sign a waiver to NOT watch the offense in this game though.
6:51-BAMA FIELD GOAL.  Let the FG procession begin.  The good news?  They were able to use their "short" field goal kicker, Shelley, who apparently was LIGHTING it up from less than 40 yards all through warmups.  That was sarcastic by the way.
6:55-It is getting crazy in here.  LSU suddenly goes to no huddle, which looks like a good plan, because he is not "thinking" quite as much.  Talk about a back-handed compliment.
6:57-Ok.  It looked good for one first down.  LSU punts.
7:01-Eddie Lacy is in.  Something tells me that no one really made fun of his last name much.  Dude is HUGE.
7:02-Maze runs back to the sidelines.
7:04-Bama is scoring really yet, but they are breaking their usual tendencies.  LSU looks on their heels-like the game plan they prepared for is not what they are seeing.  You go, Saban.
7:05-Kevin Norwood makes a beautiful catch on a long pass play.  We then find out that the catch was his EIGHTH of the year.  Really?
7:10-Not saying you guys don't know what you are doing, but where the hell is the #1 rated RB in the land?  Hello?
7:11-Bama runs again...on a 3rd and 4.  Weird.
7:12-Bama fake FG.  Gets it by an inch.
7:12 and a half-  All State streaker commercial.  How can you not love that commercial?
7:15-Good news.  Richardson is back on field.  Bad news.  Maze goes back to the locker room.
7:16-Blocked FG.  See?  There are exciting things that happen in this defensive game.
7:20-LSU ball.  False start on LSU.  These little penalties are making them look sloppy and are also giving Bama long 2nd and 3rd down plays.
7:24-LSU punts.  You CAN'T give that Bama defense those downs.
7:29-Maybe he isn't putting up TD's, but McCarron looks sharp as hell against a very good defense.
7:33- After a Lacy 8 yd run, and then getting stopped because he was dancing on 3rd and 1, Bama kicks a FG. 6-0
7:34-I just saw a Disney commercial for some movie called John Carter that I thought was for The Scorpion King 3.  I admit it.  I am easily confused.
7:36-Because of LSU's 4 punts and 1 first down, this game is going really fast.
7:39-Jefferson fumbles again (got it back both times).  Looks like he was looking at defense when it was snapped. Bama Punt.
7:44-Who is this cat, Kevin Norwood?  He gets another reception to have Bama cross the 50.
7:47-Even though his range is only up to 40 or so, Saban goes with Shelley again for a FG again.  9-0.  Optimists for LSU are saying it is ONLY 9-0.  Realists for the game are wondering if LSU will cross the 50 yard line.
HALFTIME
8:05-What a cool contest.  If the guy makes a 40 yard FG, he gets a car, a boat, a motorcyle, and something else from All State.  He misses, and doesn't even get his fifth try.  You suck.
8:12-Maze is officially announced as out.  He cries.  It is his last game with Bama.  No sarcasm on this one.  It truly was touching and slightly painful to watch him cry.
8:14-Nice slip screen by Bama.  Better Hanks (a wide receiver is why I mention that) block.
8:15-Bama still coming out of halftime throwing.  Very interesting.
8:17-LSU stops Bama, but guess what?  Another FG.  12-0
8:21-LSU is on offense.  Even coming out of halftime, they look like they have no definitive plan for this game.  I think that Bama tossing it around as much as they did in the first half truly through them off
8:23-Bama sacks Jefferson on 3rd and long.  You CAN'T have 3rd and longs against this Bama defense.
8:27-KEVIN NORWOOD party.  24 yd or so reception.  Love this guy.  Bet you LSU didn't have a film session for this cat.
8:28-WOW.  Bama is throwing a lot on first down this game.
8:30-Bama stopped.
8:34-Bama interception.
8:41-Shelley misses a FG (no funny comments these last couple frames.  I am trying to move this along.  Takes a while to type all this shit, and the game didn't exactly have crazy showstopping plays in it)
8:43-You get the 65% LSU fan base wants Lee at this point.  3rd and 6.  Jefferson is sacked.  They are 0-6 on 3rd downs this game and have yet to sniff the 50 yard line.
8:44-Short Wing punt.  Even their star KICKER is sucking.  Bama has ball in LSU territory, and the total yards is at 356-59.
8:46-Two Macy plus 10 yd rushing plays.  That hurts.  Must have made fun of his last name at the line.
8:50-McCarron shakes off a tackler that was going to be a sack.  That is not the news though.  He gets them back into FG range by doing so.  Big play.  Short yd FG kicker Shelley nails his all time long FG, and they are using them for longer FG's now.  44 yds.  12-0.
8:53-McCarron seems to have a little pain.  That is about the only thing going wrong at this point.
9:00-LSU ALMOSTS crosses the 50.  Almost.  Punt.
9:02-That HORRIBLE Great Clips commercial with that guy doing aerobics after reserving his haircut appointment online.  
9:03-I think Bama started trying to kill the clock a little early.  A couple of runs, a sack, and a punt.
9:11-Three things.  LSU crosses the 50 finally.  We find out there have been NO Bama penalties.  Coincidentally, LSU then gets another false start right after.
9:13-JJ misses third down throw.
9:20-Fourth down fumble.
9:21-McCarron runs a fantastic bootleg and somehow stays inbounds.
9:21-TR runs for a TOUCHDOWN.  Ironically, and also to make sure the final score looks "normal," Shelley misses the extra point.
9:24-LSU fans head to Bourbon Street
9:27-Another Brad Wing bad punt.
And yada yada yada...no lobster.
ONE penalty
NO turnovers
NINETY TWO yards allowed
THIRD Saban BCS championship


You people who think they shouldn't have been there because they lost the first round.  I will just say this.  Sure looked like they belonged there to me...


27)  First test of Baylor's guard play that is my only question of them making a Final Four run.  They just beat Kansas State at their crib.  Good win.  How that wasn't televised over Ohio State-Illinois and the cell phone background noise and Lousiville-Providence is beyond me, but they won.  Side note.  If I ever get into an alley fight, can I take Frank Martin with me?  Wow, he looked like he was going to smoke someone in his mandatory post game interview.


28)  I am not mad at the person who took my paid for parking spot last night for actually taking my spot.  I am mad at the following.  I was blowing off the gym because of the BCS Championship, which means I was going to watch the 5-6 Seinfeld episodes.  I missed the second one because I had to watch my freaking car from getting towed from a illegal until 6pm spot.  Jackass.  I didn't tow you.  Pay it forward.


29)  Hello, Herb Sendek.  What the HELL are you doing over their at ASU?  You are 5-10 in NON CONFERENCE play and you lose your leading scorer, King, to a transfer request?  Wow, man.  Lock and load.


30)  The Thunder won a back to back to back.  Young legs, and awesome talent?  Yup.


31)  When Meachem scored that score in the Saints game, can anyone even ballpark where the closest cornerback or safety was away?  I wouldn't be able to get it within 5 yards.  By the way, that ridiculous spot in the 3rd qtr for NO in that game was way off.  There are more times to not challenge a spot more than are times to challenge.  That was one to challenge.


32)  Don't you love sometimes the days you got sucked into movies?  I did accidentally, while working, Scarface, I am Legend, and Tin Cup.  I ALWAYS watch Tin Cup's US Open scene when it is on, and I was stupid enough to get involved enough in I Am Legend to watch the scene where the dog dies.  Dammit.  Scarface?  I would be willing to bet most guys would put that in their top 10 movies of all time of mandatory man watching movies.  Say hello to my little friend.


33)  UVA bball survived at home against Miami.  Glad we caught them before they caught steam.  Miami just got back two of their main guys, Mike Scott is the best kept secret in the country, and I am still wondering when the fact that losing 4 of the 5 of Bennett's first recruiting class will come back to haunt us.  Lack of depth will be a concern.


34)  I just turned back to catch the end of the OSU/ Illinois game.  That cell phone in the background is still going off.  I might have to Google this shit tomorrow.


35)  Barry Sanders Jr. is going to Stanford.  He is only a 4 star, but I guess if the genes from his dad don't pan out, he can always be a lawyer or doctor.  Something tells me the kid is not going to major in "Sports Business."


36)  Hey, Missouri.  Wake up call?  I watched that Kansas State game.  You guys got SMOKED.  Tough thing.  Mike Anderson comes in and recruits for his 40 minutes of hell paradigm.  He leaves.  Now, you got a bunch of tireless athletic players trying to figure out how to play slower.  It won't work...well, this year at least.


37)  How cool is this?  Flow chart THIS shit for me.  Josh McDaniels drafts Tebow "too high" for people.  He gets fired.  Then, he gets hired back after a losing gig by who?  New England.  A week before they face who?  Tebow.  You couldn't make this shit up.  Side note.  Tebow broke the tweets per second record.  I promised my boss I would make note of that.  9000 plus per second after the game.


38)  The Chiefs are keeping Crennel as their head coach.  I like it.  Watching the Chiefs play in the last few weeks was truly watching players playing hard to keep their coach.  I think he will do good things there.  He kind of reminds me of Tomlin in some ways.


39)  Jorge Posada is retiring.  No joke on this one, and for some reason I don't really care that much.  That is alright.  If he reads my rant, he can flash me rings on all fingers except for his middle one.  Take him however you want to.  Dude was a big part of a lot of wins and WS's.


40)  Here we go.  Draft psychology.  Blah.  Blah.  Blah.  The Colts will take Andrew Luck.  The Colts might not take Andrew Luck.  Shut the hell up.  Take the most obvious draft pick in years and figure it out afterwards.  If RGIII goes first, I will get a Tim Tebow tattoo on my right shoulder (I crossed my fingers when I wrote that, but it was a fun fake bet).


41)  Murray State is still undefeated.  They just beat Austin Peay.  Great win, guys.  Damn.  If UVA wouldn't have lost to TCU (???) 57-55, we would be part of this last man standing party.  Murray State is good though, people, and keep them in mind come bracket time.  Belmont, too.


42)  Luckily, the end of this Ohio State/ Illinois game is so crazy and SO good, that the crowd is loud enough to not hear that weird cell phone sound.  No, I can still hear it.  Faintly.


43)  Hey, Chris Crocker (Bengals safety).  I am not saying that it would have changed how things turned out, but the playoffs ARE the playoffs, and that interception you DIDN'T catch would have totally changed the game situation at that time.  Big plays at big times are what makes the playoffs...in any sport.  That ball was in your hands, bro.


44)  I don't care about resources.  I don't care about scouting.  I don't care about weather.  If I am Jeff Fisher, I am going to to the Rams.  I am going to the place that has a definitive QB in place who WILL break out...soon.  You can use that 2nd pick as trade bait, or to get a badass defensive player.  Or that guy, Matt Kalil from USC.  He might be useful in protecting Bradford for years to come.


45)  When I went to the Broncos game, I stared in awe at the field camera.  I am amazed those wires that move that thing all around work so well.  True, I am one of the most easily entertained people on this earth, but that thing is cool.  AND it is sports related.  Yay.


46)  So.  Illinois is about to beat Ohio State.  The only curious thing remaining is if Illinois fans remember that they have been to a couple Final Fours.  DON'T rush the court.  Good.  They aren't.  If you have been there, act like it.  Nevermind, even with the students on break, they are rushing it.  I HATE that.


47)  That new Terrence Howard movie about World War II.  Are we THAT hip these days that movies that occur in a certain time of our history don't have to have cool music in the background?  Come on.  I don't need cool music when I am watching what appears to be the Glory version of aircraft warfare.  


48)  Did you see the two guys drinking beer on the Mavs bench this week?  Awesome.  They were literally sitting right next to the players drinking a few drinks.  Classic.  Oh.  And they looked nothing like basketball players.  They actually looked more like guys I would see at a Widespread Panic concert.


49)  Michigan beats Wisconsin and Wisconsin is now out of the top 25.  I am sure there is a way to incorporate a Bo Jackson reference into a Bo Ryan joke, but I am not feeling the exact wording.  Moving on.


50)  The NHL is delaying their "realignment plan."  Thank you SO much.  Think about this first.  I like the divisions, keep your classic look, and don't change anything.  Your sport is pure.  If anything, get rid of two of the playoff teams and have the top two seeds have a bye...in arguably the most excruciating championship to win it all in all of sports.


51)  Sacramento has designated Keith Smart as their interim coach.  Something tells me that he will fake having "video" problems when game film suddenly goes to his 1987 corner shot once or twice.


52)  Madonna is still producing hits.  People are still wondering if Alice in Chains band name is offensive, and the Rangers are the best team in the NHL.  When we are done going back to see AI and the Sixers, let's go back to 1994 really quick.  Cool?


53)  The Bruins beat the Flames 9-0 this week.  Wow.  I seriously don't know what to say on this.  That is a serious ass-whipping.


54)  They just played the Hue Jackson interview again about his post game interview.  The promises/ threats he made really make the firing kind of funny.  Sorry, Hue.


55)  Because of the long Bama-LSU recap, I am winded, and therefore make you the lucky recipient of not having me break down the NCAA basketball scene anymore than I already have.  Next time.


56)  That is it.  I am off schedule because of the BCS and UVA game, so look for a weekend rant.  May the force be with you, people.    And remember.  I always tell the truth.  Even when I lie.    

No comments:

Post a Comment